Talk

Advanced search

I keep seeing things due to tiredness-anyone else?

(17 Posts)
used2bthin Thu 04-Oct-12 00:09:21

I see what I expect, post in the letterbox, the hob on when its not, that kind of thing.

DD is 15weeks and has only slept while feeding today. And feeding all the time, she has been falling asleep on me then everytime I put her in the crib she wakes and feeds more, this has gone on for hours now.

Anyone else get hallucinations when tired or am I having mental health probs too?

tutu100 Thu 04-Oct-12 00:14:07

I had this when both the ds's were babies (I still get it now sometimes). I think it is when you are so tired, that to save energy your brain see what it expects to see, or what it has seen before, rather than what is actually there.

I think it is a sign though that you really need help to get a good amount of sleep. I take it you are bf as you say your DD falls asleep on you whilst feeding. Can you express some milk so someone else can give her a feed so that you can get a block of sleep?

Things will start getting better soon though. A little bit longer and you DD will start going longer between feeds and feeds will get shorter.

used2bthin Thu 04-Oct-12 00:22:49

Thanks, been googling and think it could be sleep regression-she was doing four to five hours at the start of the night and is now all over the place.

Glad I am not the only one who sees things! I have an older child too but she was a better sleeper. Scary that I am in charge of two children and sometimes have to drive like this! Its been so awful lately as dd1 has woken on and off toodh doesnt wake up so I end up seeing to her too. I have never persevered enough with expressing so not sure if dd2 would take a bottle now and dh is always clearing up etc after bedtime, teatime etc while I feed so not sure I could ask him to do much but may have to do something if she doesnt change soon.

gussiegrips Thu 04-Oct-12 00:34:53

Yep, it gets kind of groovy after a while.

If it makes you feel any better - my kids are now 8, 7 and 4. We've had a run of sleepless nights thanks to illness, and I've been seeing stuff that's not there - mainly wee mice running past or bottles of gin. Well, one of those is wishful thinking.

Hang in there, pump the boobs, get some rest.

tutu100 Thu 04-Oct-12 00:37:00

I had to stop driving for a bit at the worst part as I just didn't feel safe enough to drive. My response times were far too erratic.

weegiemum Thu 04-Oct-12 00:39:05

I hams this the other morning, weirdly. Hadn't slept on fri night much, and sat practically not at all (I get weird neurological pain in my feet and hands). Did drift off about 6am Sunday and woke an hour later. Sat up and I was so convinced I could see felt pen writing on the inside of our bedroom blind that I woke dh to see if he could make out what it said (I'd taken my contacts out).

There was nothing there. Weird!

used2bthin Thu 04-Oct-12 12:54:16

Thank you all, I am going to try to nap today as dd2 was up feeding almost constantly from 2,dd1 has sn and is quite challenging so I am just feeling dreadful today. Feel a bit drunk!

weegiemum thats creepy!Last night I "heard" someone say something just as I fell asleep so can add auditory hallucinations too!

used2bthin Thu 04-Oct-12 13:50:27

trying to nap but dd still feeding-everytime I put her down she wakes and feeds some more, I am so so tired and dd1 will be back in an hour or so,whydoes she not sleep??!!

sorry just needing to vent, it is so frustrating!

KD0706 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:38:58

Could you feed lying down so you can doze while feeding?

(I'm feeding at mo hence short post!)

used2bthin Fri 05-Oct-12 23:58:23

thanks I tend to feed lying down from 4am but often she feeds very frequently from then till 7am when dd1 gets up. just posted in bf as she is still waking when i put her down and am SO tired!

KD0706 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:45:37

Oh I'm sorry you're so knackered.
Four month sleep regression?

It will pass, but I know that's no help at the moment.

Did you think about trying a bottle of expressed milk, she may not take it but maybe worth a shot just in case?

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 07:34:39

I really must start expressing again. It just feels like so much effort atm (everything does)but I really do need to persevere i think.

PukeCatcher Sun 07-Oct-12 07:44:29

Just seen this. I hope you got a bit more sleep last night.

I remember 'seeing' my DH stood watching the baby over the end of the cot (it was dark but definitely him).

I also 'saw' him carrying the baby across the room (again dark).

I rubbed my eyes and he was gone. Damn hallucinations had me thinking my house was haunted.

Mine stopped around the 4-5 month mark, I must be used to it now.

HearMyRoar Sun 07-Oct-12 18:53:01

You may have tried this but when dd started waking when put her down at 4 months the only thing that worked was wrapping her in a blanket while still held her and then putting her down in that. Also make sure the sheet is warm as there is nothing like hitting a cold bed to wake a sleepy baby, I use a hot water bottle on the bed.

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 19:31:30

Oh creepy pukecatcher! That reminds me, when dd1 was tiny I thought a nurse came into the room (we were frequently in hospital then due to her sn)thought oh its ok she's doing her obs, she leaned over the cot and checked her. Then I realsied we were at home so no nurses!

hearmy roar i was thinking today I need something warm because she napped in her crib for a good hour but only because I patted her to sleep then rested my hand on her chest-she then held my hands to her chest and woke up whenever i tried to move away until she was in a properly deep sleep. scuse rubbish typing am crrently rocking her to sleep in her car seat which again is probably a bad idea but dd1 isn't asleep yet so I daren't take her upstairs!

KD0706 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:13:00

On the warming the bed thing my friend used to sit on the Moses basket mattress while doing night feeds.

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 21:56:52

ha ha good idea!altho I'd need DH to be up here and awake to transfer it while I held her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now