Talk

Advanced search

Wind disrupting sleep 9 week old

(15 Posts)
hamncheese Tue 02-Oct-12 12:20:10

Wondering if anyone has any tips. DS has been incredibly windy and colicky from week 3. He rarely goes more than 20 mins without groaning and straining, in his sleep or awake. He sleeps well at night a we cosleep. He grunts through his sleep, or if it wakes him me being there and it being dark makes him go back to sleep.

In the day though he is so hard to get to sleep. The only time he sleeps more than an hour is on me but even then he strains all the time. He only actually produces poo or wind a few times a day. Tried it all in relation to getting rid of the wind and coming to the usual conclusion its just the way it is so don't need advice about getting rid of wind. Just need advice on if anyone found anyway of stopping the wind waking him up when sleeping? Example is he will feed to sleep on me, go floppy, I put him in the basket he sleeps soundly for 20 mins and then suddenly he starts to groan and strain and then his eyes are open and it's very unusual to be able to get him back to sleep.

Thanks

frazzledbutcalm Tue 02-Oct-12 20:18:00

Try him on his tummy ...

Iggly Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:33

Sounds exactly like my dd.

Baby sleep cycles are 45 mins long. They go from light to deep sleep after 20 mins and if they're uncomfy, they wake at that point.

My dd had tongue tie which made her swallow a lot of air. So if I didn't get it all out, she'd wake.

She also has reflux and reacted to food I'd eaten (dairy, soya, spicy foods, acidic foods). So after a feed she'd be in pain and wake up.

She also fought sleep. So I used a sling for most naps - reduced the colic and made her happier.

How does he feed?

hamncheese Thu 04-Oct-12 14:42:21

Had feeding problems of late. Trying gaviscon, cutting dairy from diet too. I guess most sleeps will just have to be on me or in sling. When did your dd improve?

Iggly Thu 04-Oct-12 21:17:22

By 4 months I could put her down for naps after feeding and winding. By 5 months she started sleeping for longer stretches in her cot (up to 3 hours sometimes!)

I got medication for the reflux (ranitidine). Infant gaviscon made her constipated so I pushed for other meds (my older one had the same issues).

thezoobmeister Thu 04-Oct-12 21:26:43

My DD2 is 9 weeks too and exactly the same! She sleeps on my chest a lot during the night, that seems to help. And upright in the sling during the day.

Iggly Thu 04-Oct-12 21:30:15

By 4 months I could put her down for naps after feeding and winding. By 5 months she started sleeping for longer stretches in her cot (up to 3 hours sometimes!)

I got medication for the reflux (ranitidine). Infant gaviscon made her constipated so I pushed for other meds (my older one had the same issues).

hamncheese Fri 05-Oct-12 18:02:45

That's positive iggly for timescales. We have used gaviscon now and every time he has it he projectile vomits so stopping. It's hard to know if he does hve reflux or not...

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 19:57:02

Have you been winding him properly after a feed? Also try keeping him upright for 20 mins post feed, winding him or pop in a sling during that time.

Does he wriggle or writhe? Any wet burps?

hamncheese Sun 07-Oct-12 15:49:23

Yep yep and yep.

bloodybuilder Sun 07-Oct-12 15:59:31

You are probably not getting all the wind up. My dd also 3 weeks is exactly the same as were other 2 dc. I've found the best way is to support their head under chin and sit forward, gently pushing the small of the back in so the the back is in a straight line. If it is soft and floppy there, there is no wind but if there is lots of tension you need to carry on winding.
It's difficult to describe. I wish someone had told me this with dc1 it would have saved me hours... My MIL and DM did this ineffectual burping my gently patting his back...

Iggly Sun 07-Oct-12 16:24:43

Yep to the wriggling etc? Might be silent reflux then. Mine had that. Had to cut all dairy and get ranitidine from the GP for them.

thezoobmeister Sun 07-Oct-12 17:16:54

If reflux and you are BFing, one thing to consider is oversupply. It's actually very common and often the culprit behind reflux symptoms. Can be sorted without meds.

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

hamncheese Tue 09-Oct-12 09:22:04

Thanks zoob I don't think this is the problem, when feeding well he actually seems to be impatient for the let down, sort of kneading my breast with his hands until it happens, and then settling a bit more. He also seems to eat better from a fuller breast...

Interestingly iggly I've mostly cut dairy and his poo is no longer mucousy. But I also cut down and stopped his lactulose too at this time so not sure if it is dairy or not, especially as there are still a few little bits of dairy I've had... Might post I feeding for more advice on working it out?

Iggly Tue 09-Oct-12 11:39:29

Yep good idea to put on the feeding board. Also if you're having soya instead - I found it was just as bad as the proteins are similar apparently.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: