Talk

Advanced search

Any reason not to put DS straight into double bed?

(11 Posts)
PPL Fri 28-Sep-12 12:46:36

DS is 15 mo. We will be moving house when he'll be coming up to 2. Not sure if we'll move him straight into a bed then, but either way, we have a spare double bed but no single. He's in a cot bed now which we can convert initially, but hoping to conceive DC2 around that time too. Is there any important reason why kids don't have double beds? Another reason why we like this idea is his room might occasionally have to be a guest room, and he will either come in with us or little DC (if there is one).

Any thoughts? thanks

sommewhereelse Fri 28-Sep-12 12:55:39

We did this with our second child.

Cot, then mattress on the floor for a short while (because I was worried about falling off) and then when I realised she was always properly in bed and not half hanging off the mattress, into the double bed.

There's no reason why they shouldn't have a double bed but I suppose if you didn't already have the bed you wouldn't choose a double because it costs more, takes more space, creates more washing if they are sick/wet the bed.....

We already had loads of bedding so we only had to invest in a good mattress protector.

PPL Fri 28-Sep-12 12:57:04

I suppose there isn't much choice of kids double bed linen...

sommewhereelse Fri 28-Sep-12 13:40:29

Actually, at first DD had a single duvet but double sheets because the single duvet fits in the washing machine at home and we have to go the launderette with the double.

So you could still have a kiddy themed duvet cover and pillow case.

ShabbyChit Fri 28-Sep-12 13:56:52

Don't think there's any reason why you couldn't do this based on the reasons you have mentioned above. I just think it's not the 'norm' here (assuming you are in the UK?)
Good in many ways eg less chance of rolling out of bed?
AFAIK in the USA almost all baby cots convert to a day bed then a double bed so most kids end up in a double bed a lot earlier than they would here.
like this kind of thing which I have seriously been considering buying for our first DC as they now sell them on the Tesco Website!
Agree about lack of kids double bedding (although I think Next do one or 2 IIRC) but good idea above about using single duvet or a duvet cover is easy to make if you have a big enough stretch of fabric and are handy with a sewing machine!

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 28-Sep-12 14:00:29

I can't think of any real reason not to

I guess most choose not to because a single or bunk beds leaves more space for sleep overs later on

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 28-Sep-12 14:01:14

you don't need double bed linen

MeerkatMerkin Fri 28-Sep-12 14:05:20

My DS 20mo has a double futon - he loves it and I do too as I can sneak in when DH is snoring! smile

ChasingSquirrels Fri 28-Sep-12 14:08:54

10yo DS has just moved into a double bed (cos I got a new kingsize & he wanted my double), obviously it needs a double sheet on the bottom - but he had still got his single duvet & bedding with it.

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 28-Sep-12 14:26:02

DD2 moved straight from her cot to a double bed.

She's alway had a single quilt, choice of covers, ease of washing and the fact that double quilts are very heavy.

When she has used the guests double one it just slides on to the floor. It's to awkward for her to hitch up.

PPL Fri 28-Sep-12 20:25:27

Ok thanks for the responses. So it's not such a terrible idea after all. Start with a single duvet - sounds like a plan. As for sleepovers - I guess they can share!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now