Talk

Advanced search

Waking after 45mins after bedtime

(10 Posts)
Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 19:39:39

My dd (9.5mo) does this quite frequently. She self settles, can settle fine through sleep cycles. She is to fed/rocked/cuddled to sleep. She falls asleep fine by herself so I know this is not the issue.

Anyone had experience of this?

Anyone know why this might be?

Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 19:41:34

Meant to say she is NOT fed/rocked/cuddled to sleep!

bloodybuilder Thu 27-Sep-12 19:41:40

Both dd and ds did this for months. I can't remember if there was a reason - but we were consistent and kept things dark and boring but providing comfort and it passed.

Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 19:43:01

Thanks BB. Did it just pass by itself?

Were they unsettled through other parts of the night too or just at 45mins mark?

Wigeon Thu 27-Sep-12 19:48:25

DD2 definitely has phases of this (now 16 months). Pretty often she just needed to do a burp - I'd pick her up, and sometimes it would just come as soon as I held her upright on me.

Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 19:55:57

Thanks W!

She ofte does settle after a while of fussing.

Ithink she is teethig though too so I guess that could be it too (hence the phases of it).

I did hear that it could be a sign of OT but I try to put her down for naps ad BT when she is just tired so not sure of this for her really.

E.g.

Today
6.30 - woke
9.35-11 - nap
3-4 nap
6.40pm bed

She seems to be getting enough sleep...I think!!

Suchanamateur Thu 27-Sep-12 20:42:48

That looks like a great schedule and I'd have thought unlikely to be overtiredness. My DS had phases of this too- usually during big developmental change. Passed on its own. Still occaisionally does now at 2.5 but then it's definitely OT.

Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 20:53:19

Thanks Suchanamateur - That's our routine today, altho differs other days.

Yeah don't think it's OT. Guess it might just be developmetal altho not sure which milestone (maybe one I can't see yet or a mental develpment).

It's just frustrating hearing her thrashing about wondering why she can't settle. She's now done it after 45mins and then after another hour. I just feel that it must mean she isn't resting sufficienlty!

Aerobreaking Thu 27-Sep-12 20:56:34

Is she too hot? As the timings do definitely sound like it is an end of a sleep cycle waking, and temperature is a common cause of that. Just thinking because at this time of the evening it is probably still warmer than it is later in the night when she begins a new cycle?

Madallie Thu 27-Sep-12 21:09:22

Funny you should say that Aerobreaking cos this recent phase actually started a few nights ago (have had other episodes b4 this tho) and I have just nought a new sleeping bag. It's the same tog as the one we were using previously (2.5) but she did seem warmer it it than in the previous one. Even when I got her up this morning she was very warm and it was only 17degrees in her room!

Guess that could be it! I think I'll try the other sleeping bag again tomorrow night, or maybe just a pj top and no bottoms with this new one!

Honestly, I swear little dd is super sensitive to all eventualities involving sleep. She's like the princess and the pea! ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now