Talk

Advanced search

7 weeks - is it too early to try to get baby to sleep longer ?

(15 Posts)
Bobkins Wed 26-Sep-12 22:52:34

At the moment, I put her down at 7.00 (after a good feed), dreamfeed at about 10.30, she then wakes between 1.30 and 2.30 then again at about 4.30-5.30. I breast feed for usually around 15 mins - which seems to satisfy her. Is there anything I can do to lengthen the time between feeds ?

LittleBearPad Wed 26-Sep-12 22:55:26

Probably not, I'm afraid. As she gets older she should go longer between feeds but not at seven weeks I'm afraid. In the meantime try to nap when she naps and make sure you eat properly, especially nutrition rich cake. grin. Good luck

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 26-Sep-12 22:55:49

Hmmm... in all honesty probably not. At that age they need lots of feeds. However two things I found helped me: 1- swaddle and 2- offer milk every three hours minimum between 7am and 7pm.

Are you bf or ff?

Bobkins Wed 26-Sep-12 23:06:37

I rather thought that would be the case but thought it would be worth the question ! I feed her every three hours during the day. At the moment, she is exclusively breast fed.

lucylookout Thu 27-Sep-12 02:09:38

I think it sounds like she's doing well. Have just about got to that stage with ds and he's 10 weeks.

lucylookout Thu 27-Sep-12 02:09:45

I think it sounds like she's doing well. Have just about got to that stage with ds and he's 10 weeks.

Bobkins Thu 27-Sep-12 04:14:21

Thank you Lucy. Oddly tonight, she was fed at 10.30 and has only just woken up. Hope you've had a good night x

McPhee Thu 27-Sep-12 04:19:35

My Dd follows the same pattern as yours and she's 12 weeks. I dream fed her at half three and she's not stirred. Although now I'm wide awake hmm

It sounds like your doing a fab job smile

Bobkins Thu 27-Sep-12 04:30:07

Me too. I haven't struggled to much with sleep depravation so I have been waking up every half an hour since 1.30. She has just dropped back off. Fingers crossed this is a turning point x
What time will your little one be up in the morning ? X

McPhee Thu 27-Sep-12 04:48:13

Normally any time between 6-6.30. We feed in bed, then I race down for that first morning coffee grin

Alia01 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:22:59

Hi all.
Same sort of question. My baby boy is 7weeks. He takes 5oz every 3hours in the day. (He's a big boy 12lb 8oz)
Takes 6oz at 7:30 after bath n sleeps through till 1pm. Them he will take 2oz (max, sometimes only a tiny amount) and go through till 3/3:30.
That's all good I know.
Then he will wake at about 4am, doesn't want a bottle, rocking and dummy don't do much. He will normally dose till 5:30/6am. Then take 4oz.
How do I stop him waking at 4am - as he's not hungry not sure why he wakes??
First time mum, so great full for any advise. Sorry it's such a long message! xx

Bobkins Thu 27-Sep-12 18:21:43

Sorry, I have no idea. Hopefully, someone will come along soon with a suggestion.
Do you think he could be getting a bit cold hence waking himself up ? X

McPhee Thu 27-Sep-12 18:34:36

Well I put myself in the HV firing line today, and asked our questions.

Basically they are too little to be sleeping through, and need feeding. Are are finding their way through the world, so need whatever they need at that point in time. Consider me told grin

Lambethlil Thu 27-Sep-12 18:44:39

Do you cosleep? That helps, and make sure you keep it as quiet and dark as feasible when you feed.

Bobkins Thu 27-Sep-12 21:33:58

Consider us told !! I doubt my little girl will do as well tonight anyway xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now