Talk

Advanced search

How long does your 9mo nap for and when?

(15 Posts)
Madallie Tue 25-Sep-12 10:43:48

Just wanted to see what other 9mo babies are doing really?

Craftyone Tue 25-Sep-12 10:50:17

6.30am awake
9.30am-11am - nap
3.30pm-4.45pm - nap
6.30 - dinner
8.30pm bed

I have him on a schedule and wake him up when it gets to the end of nap time. He sleeps through almost every day with day naps. Hope this helps.

MorningGromit Tue 25-Sep-12 10:53:56

I've just googled the same question!!! I think they all vary but 2 naps a day seems to be the standard until roughly 12 months when they seem to have a longer afternoon one (I had lovely 2 hour afternoon naps from my older daughter)

My 9 month old has just had a half hour nap 9.45-10.15, after being up since 5am. This just can't be enough... but she's up playing now!

She was doing 9.30-10.30 and then another hour in the afternoon but she deoesn't always want the afternoon nap straight after lunch so sometimes its a half hour one in the car (I have DD1 to think about too, so can't structure life around the baby completely).

She goes to bed happily at 7 though (and wakes once or twice for milk) usually waking at 6am.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 10:56:44

Dd wakes at 7.30. Naps 9.45-10.30 and 2-2.45. Bed at 6.30 after a bath and bottle.

She used to sleep through but has started waking at 3am again.

Every now and again her morning nap will be 1.5hrs.

MorningGromit Tue 25-Sep-12 11:10:09

Mine WAS sleeping through apart from a 3am feed and back to sleep which I was happy with. Last few nights has been waking several times!

I need sleep...

slothprincess Tue 25-Sep-12 13:21:27

My DD seems to have found her own routine and I don't wake her from naps. I did make an effort to drop the 3rd nap about a month ago as I think it was affecting her ability to get to sleep in the evening. But consequently she wants to go to bed for the night really early and we start her bedtime routine about 5ish.

Currently she does:
6:30 am - wake up
8am-9:30am - nap
12:15pm-1:30pm - nap
6pm- asleep for the night

She usually wakes for a feed once in the night, occasionally twice. Even more occasionally she'll sleep through.
HTH.

Madallie Tue 25-Sep-12 16:05:37

Do most other people have structured times for dcs naps?

I reallt try to and does more or less work for am nap (give or take 15mins). Afternoon naps seem so much more hit and miss!!

Do you think it's just a phase (part of 9 month sleep regression). I hope so!

MorningGromit Tue 25-Sep-12 16:10:30

I think I only know of one friend who has very fixed structured times (as in 15mins!) most aim for "a morning nap on/after school run" for example.

I'm putting everything this week down to 9 month sleep regression and teething or separation anxiety! (Having a bad week, but up until now she's been lovely!)

ceeveebee Tue 25-Sep-12 16:20:40

My twins are 10 months but have had similar routine for a while

Wake 630am

Then dependibg on our plans either:
Nap 930-1030 (I gave to wake them for groups a couple of times a week)
Nap 130-3

Or
Nap 930-11
Nap 2-3

Then bed at 630

Craftyone Tue 25-Sep-12 16:22:06

I love structured naps as i have 3 hours during the day to myself and it is bliss! Create the same atmosphere as the night and it should work. My ds naps inside his cot in the dark.
He had sleep regression at 9 months and started waking at 4am but at 10 months that has passed.

CherryCheesecake Tue 25-Sep-12 16:27:35

I just put dd down for a nap whenever she looks tired Haha absolutely no structure from me but it looks like she naps from 9am-10am then 1.30pm-3.30pm bath at 6.30 then bed. She usually wakes at 7. She's 8mo.

civilfawlty Tue 25-Sep-12 16:30:15

Can I hijack with a question please? Why does my/all babies need a nap so soon after they wake, and one after lunch, but then go so long without one before bed?

Madallie Tue 25-Sep-12 16:41:48

Me too MorningGromit, that's what i'm attributing this to aswell. Although we have had many not so good patches with sleep.

I find it hard when dd resists her naps cos feel like i've waited in all day to try for an hour to wait for her to fall asleep and somtimes it's only 30-40mins. I would just go out but she just won't nap in pushchair. Feel tied to the house which makes me more miserable really.

Maybe I should just try not to be so structured. Do you or others you know have a set time you won't let them sleep past in the pm for naps? DD goes to bed at 7 but she often won't settle for pm nap until 3ish so if she sleeps for an hours til 4pm that's quite near bedtime if you see what I mean?

Do you cut any nap times (e.g. am nap in order to try and get decent pm nap?).

I'm never sure whether to just let dd have a longer am nap which she seems to like, something like 9.45/50am until about 11.15am and just let her have a late nap 3-35ish and keep bed at 7pm or whether to cut am nap to only 45ish minutes and hope to get longer pm nap?

forevergreek Tue 25-Sep-12 17:55:29

9-10am
1-3 pm
4.30-5.15

They loved sleep! Tad older now but still 2 naps

Madallie Tue 25-Sep-12 18:09:59

Civilfawlty - I've often wondered this too.

However my dd doesn't seem to fit to this. When she's having good nap days her schedule usually goes like this:

Wake about 6.30-7am

Nap approx 3 hrs waking so 9.45am - 11.15am (give or take 10mins)

Then naps approx 2.15/30-3.15-30 (about an hr)

So another 3ish hours of awake time

Then bed at 7ish so about 3.5hrs of wake time. Altho even is she naps 3-4 sh still seems ready for bed about 7.

My dd never seems to fit any of the 'moulds' other babies do tho! Just likes to keep me on my toes.

I think I have notices tho that capping tha am nap does not help us get a better or longer pm nap. Tried this for a few days now and doesn't seem to work. Think will just let her sleep til she wants in am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now