Talk

Advanced search

sleep training - what to do about night wake-ups? (unjustifiably long)

(3 Posts)
rhetorician Tue 25-Sep-12 09:32:09

DD2 is 9 months, and I've posted about her sleep before. We have started gentle sleep training and have (more or less) managed to break her feeding to sleep habit. DP gives her breastfeed and then I settle her in cot by some idiosyncratic and not very systematic combination of PUPD, singing, back/head rubbing. This takes anything between 10 and 20 minutes, even less if she is really ready. BUT the whole point of the exercise was to get her back in her cot for the rest of the night after her 2-3am wakeup. The last 2 nights I have put her back in cot and managed to settle her off to sleep (with some protest on her part), only for her to wake again after a short while (20 mins max); I do it again, and again, and again, and then an hour (or more) has passed and we are all losing the will to live (bear in mind that this is 2 or 3am and we will all be up at 7.30) so she ends up in bed with us, where admittedly she sleeps fairly well. But I worry that we are not being consistent so this is all a bit pointless - plus the fact that she is in the bed snacking rather than sleeping.

Or is it too early to tell? If I just leave her to it in the cot she cries and cries and doesn't go to sleep - plus I don't want the yelling to wake dd1.

Should we keep going with this and then take more drastic action in a few days if it doesn't seem to work? I can't really tell why she wakes all the time - she isn't hungry apart from that one feed. Thanks

rhetorician Tue 25-Sep-12 10:33:18

anyone?

SarryB Tue 25-Sep-12 12:11:02

No help, but I have exactly the same problem with my 5 month old. Goes down well at bedtime, but wakes anywhere between 1am and 4am and will not go back to sleep unless he's in the bed with me.

I have found that if I refuse BF during the night, he eats more during the day to make up for it, and does sleep a bit better the next night. But sometimes it's just so easy when you're tired to go in, pick him up, stick a boob in and get back in bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now