Talk

Advanced search

Dropping nap at 18 months

(7 Posts)
BananaPie Wed 19-Sep-12 14:34:01

Dd has decided that she no longer needs her post lunch nap - she'll happily nap at nursery, but when she's home with me she refuses it. She's 18 months. Surely this is too young to stop napping?! I need that hour or so in the middle of the day! Any thoughts on how I can persuade her?

omama Wed 19-Sep-12 21:28:05

yeah it is pretty young to stop napping though not unheard of!

what time does she usually wake in a morning & what time does she usually go down for her nap? I know around that age I had to push my DS's nap back from 12.30 to a 1pm start as he wasn't tired enough to go any earlier (he got up at 7am).

Another thing though - there is a huge regression/developmental leap at 18 months which can make sleep go really wonky - language explosion combined with increased awareness they can make decisions for themselves i.e. I may need a nap but I don't want one, kwim?

I would keep offering the nap - you may find in a couple of weeks she starts to take it again. And if she doesn't, then at least she gets some quiet time to help her make it through to bedtime.

HTH.x

BananaPie Fri 28-Sep-12 17:46:32

Thanks! I'm persevering with offering it, but she seems pretty adamant that she doesn't want one. Oh well!

wildpoppy Sat 29-Sep-12 23:41:35

My dd, 21 months, pretends she doesn't want one but she does. I trick her into it - a walk or drive.

BananaPie Sun 30-Sep-12 14:05:35

Yes, a walk or a drive often tricks her into it! Only thing is I can't do the housework at the same time (or sit down with a cup of tea!)

omama Sun 30-Sep-12 14:28:19

Does she just say 'no I don't want to?' My DS started saying this at this age, still does in fact, but I just tell him he looks tired & its time for bed. He has no choice. He may arse around in bed for a while but he doesn't cry, because he knows when he goes to bed its time for sleep. He always goes to sleep eventually, even on the days he's said he didn't want to. I know he needs it as he's a little grump without it.

My view is there's just too many exciting things for them to be doing, so they don't want to nap, even though its what they need. Hopefully it'll settle back down soon.x

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Mon 01-Oct-12 22:14:15

My DS is 20 months, he's trying to drop is nap as well. He's totally not ready as he will be crying, rubbing his eyes and yawning loads.

I've resorted to going for a quick drive to get him off...

I need that hour as well, how will we cope when they don't nap?? lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now