Talk

Advanced search

toddler sleep hell!!

(7 Posts)
balzarinil Tue 18-Sep-12 10:40:10

Please help me. My daughter is 2years and 20 months and hasn't slept through for nearly a year. My husband and i have tried everything, even considered getting jo frost in to help! She doesn't nap in the day at all and is very active bith physically and mentally. She goes to bed with no problem at all as we have a good routine. However without fail at some point between 1am and 4am she wakes crying or shoutong saying she needs a wee(she doesn't) or she's dropped her blankie or she wants to come in with us etc. We have done everything including controlled crying etc. Now i will go in once, tuck her back in say sshh and see you in the morning and then just leave her cry. This has been going on for weeks so she knows i am not going back in and that she will just cry herself to sleep and yet she still does it every night. I am losing the will to live!! I am also pregnant and will not be able to cope with her waking every night and a new baby please help with good ideas. She can sleep through as she'll sleep through at my mum's house and about once a month with me

ProudNeathGirl Tue 18-Sep-12 11:04:02

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think she's being unusual. Kids wake up during the night quite often, my DD up to the age if 6ish. It is tiring, I agree. But part of being a parent.
Have you tried leaving a night light on so that she might not be frightened when she wakes up? A reward system for being a good girl and quietly going back to sleep might also help.

ProudNeathGirl Tue 18-Sep-12 11:06:06

Ps I should add that I think you are doing the right thing by just tucking her in and then leaving her.
Having one who wakes at night is hard. Having a baby too is exhausting - but you'll get through it. We all do smile

Tigresswoods Tue 18-Sep-12 11:08:15

Have a little chat or make up a story that night time is for sleeping AND NOTHING ELSE.

misscuppitt1989 Thu 20-Sep-12 11:44:22

my little girl is 4 and she has never been a good sleeper sad she does all the things you describe to get attention ex needing a wee when she doesnt. I need some advice on this as she has just started school and as very tired throughout the day and she seems to wake more on a night the tireder she is. We have tried everything from controlled crying to reward charts and nothing works. I have a little boys whos 1 and he sleeps though fine lets hope someone can helps us as after 4 year im exhausted

Some0ne Thu 20-Sep-12 12:59:56

Is she overtired? Have you tried having quiet time in her bed during the day instead of a nap, just to give her some time out (in the good sense!)?

What time does she go to bed at? And what time does she get up in the morning?

Tertius Fri 21-Sep-12 20:43:01

My son woke throughout his first year and then a lot between 2 and 3. Sometimes they wake more when they become more complicated. I had a newborn then and my DH did deal with his waking a lot. He did just outgrow it. Encouraged with healthy sleep habits - fall asleep alone but with a story playing and door open with us just outside Pottering.

He is now 3.5 and still wakes from time to time, but generally not. My one year old sleeps til 5 and then will only sleep on me. I am trying to be relaxed about this!

Think it is normal that she wakes. I would just reassure her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now