Talk

Advanced search

Pick up put down - who has tried it?

(23 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Sun 16-Sep-12 20:50:37

How did it go? Did you get the result you wanted and how long did it take? Did it wreck your back? Looks like we are trying it at the weekend as cant be worse than a 45minute settle for 30mins sleep through the night..... Can it???

Iggly Sun 16-Sep-12 20:57:32

Tried it. Didn't like it.

Best thing was putting ds to bed early to make sure he wasn't overtired and making sure he was fully winded (BF) and hadn't had anything disagreeable at tea time. Basically he'd take ages to settle because he was uncomfy.

cerealqueen Sun 16-Sep-12 23:34:21

Interested to hear too, having a nightmare with DD2 who I feed to sleep and who then wakes 2x before we go to bed, takes 40 minutes to get her to sleep again, I have no evening, no life at all right now. Miserable. We are thinking about Pu/Pd starting tomorrow night. I'm dreading it but can't carry on like this. DD2 angel in day, devil at night!

Mitsouko Mon 17-Sep-12 01:31:12

Tried it in early days with DD. Awful. Did nothing except feed her hysteria. And apparently quite bad for refluxy babies. Felt terribly guilty when I heard that and chucked out my copy of baby whisperer. Truly, I hate that book. Couldn't even take it to charity shop as I feared some other poor, exhausted first time mum would find it and feel like an utter failure too.

ComradeJing Mon 17-Sep-12 02:57:01

I hated it too. I felt that it just taught DD to become more hysterical when she was put down for a sleep.

However, what worked for us was the breaking the feed to sleep cycle. I only truly managed this when I stopped BFing tbh but I could have done it before. I spent 3 nights doing each "step" and it worked a treat. Yes she cried but I was there the whole time and she cried because she wanted to sleep and wanted to be fed to sleep.

-Put DD on lap, jiggle leg (she went to sleep well with movement), and rhythmically patting chest. Repeat "shhhhhh" and (when she got more upset) "I'm here" in a soft, soothing voice. Continue until asleep. Continue if she wakes up in the night.

-The same as above but no leg jiggle (so the movement didn't rock her to sleep).

-In cot, patting chest, repeat "shhhh" & "I'm here." Do not remove from cot. She will be cross but she is ok. If she was really upset I would get in the cot with her but I found this just prolonged it all.

-As above but just hand on chest (not patting) and repeat shh and I'm here.

-As above but NO hand on chest. Just shhh and I'm here.

-As above but only saying something if she got upset.

I haven't progressed past this tbh so she still goes to sleep with me in the room but that is for a great number of reasons.

I know it all sounds terribly long winded but it worked. DD was never left alone, I was there the whole time and I was touching her for most of it. I didn't feel like a bitch or like I was failing her.

I usually knew it was time for the next step (though 3 days seemed to be the rule) when she started to wake up again more in the night. In other words she became used to me patting her or saying shhh or whatever. I also got a white noise app to replace me saying shhhh when I thought I would kill myself if I said shhhh one more time.

PatronSaintOfDucks Mon 17-Sep-12 20:19:09

Tried it. Sorry, but hated it. I just could not do it as it involved lifting a wiggling 8-kilo baby over the high side of the cot and putting him back a million times and my back just could not take it, although I am no weakling. DS hate it too. It just made him scream louder.

TheSkiingGardener Mon 17-Sep-12 20:32:56

Tried it and it worked. DS must have been around the year mark, maybe a few months more and over the course of about a week, he needed us less and less. We ended up having one wake up a night until he was 18 months and slept through.

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Sep-12 20:37:07

Hmm this is not encouraging! I think though we have got to the point where its that or controlled crying and really dont want to do that sad Only plus is he cant sit yet so cot still on the highest setting - want to do it before we have to lower it!!! We have already tried the shush pat (and we resorted to white noise too!! It just isnt possible to shush for that long!!) and got so far with it but its the waking up now that is killing us. 6 times a night regularly and on the worst night even when he was in bed with us. The boy needs to learn to self settle!!! Someone must have had success with it and have some tips for me!!??

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Sep-12 20:37:30

P.S. Good luck cerealqueen!

lotsofcheese Mon 17-Sep-12 20:42:32

Tried it & it worked well!! Started when DS was about 8-10 weeks, worked within a day.

You have to be consistent with it - I put on his musical mobile to time the crying so I left him the exact same time every time. The 1st time it took about 45 mins to settle him, the next nap was about half that & within a day he was self-settling

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Sep-12 20:52:59

Glad you had success Cheese but do you mean with CC or PUPD?

MimaSW20 Mon 17-Sep-12 21:22:45

Nigglenaggle please try mill-pond.co.uk, there are better more practical and gentler options than and Cc (I have tried them both before I found mill-pond)
Good luck xx

lotsofcheese Mon 17-Sep-12 22:10:49

I meant PUPD. Also tried cc at a later stage - not so keen on that one - don't think it works on very young ones (less than 6-8 months) or above 2...

I just found during cc that DS got so distressed from crying he vomited everywhere sad - which doesn't really teach them to self-settle.....and he was scared of the dark after that too - so quite traumatic all round

He is a good sleeper now, aged 3.75 - we get 12 hours a night out of him. Just that 1/2 of it is in our bed!! Have given up on all the sleep training - took us 2 years to get to that point, having tried every method possible. We get more sleep now with him in bed

cerealqueen Tue 18-Sep-12 15:00:09

We didn't try it last night as DD was off her food, and so couldn't sleep train her if she hasn't eaten properly or going down with something. Got ourselves all psyched up too. sad
I think we will try Nectarina's approach?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/1394888-What-worked-for-us-Hope-this-helps

Will see how she is later.

Nigglenaggle Tue 18-Sep-12 21:04:43

Ooh thanks for the links! Both interesting, like the look of the Millpond. I have been reading the Baby Whisperer book and thinking I would really pay alot of money to have her come round and help us sort it out, but obviously that wont happen. So good to know there are people out there for a back up plan.

CamelKnees Tue 18-Sep-12 21:12:02

We did PUPD. Had 5mth old DD used to being fed to sleep. Worked well for us. I couldn't abide the idea of CC and DD responded well to PUPD. Took a couple of weeks to nail it properly but we got good results. Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 07:44:29

Well we got ready to do it and in preparation started doing all the other things the book says to the letter (have been trying but, you know, life gets in the way) and..... he started sleeping through hahahahahahahahahaha (manic laugh that have had the answer in front of me all along!!) We will see how long it lasts however ^^

Whatwhatwhat Mon 24-Sep-12 12:37:35

How do you do Pick up Put down?

My baby is 10 months old.

SarryB Mon 24-Sep-12 20:48:00

I've tried it, but I think it just annoys him and wakes him up more.

Nigglenaggle Tue 25-Sep-12 21:12:02

What basically, baby cries, you pick him up, but the minute he stops crying its back down in the cot. The idea is that you are responding to the cries, so you are there when he needs you, but you arent over comforting and letting him get dependant on it. Which appeals massively to me as an idea, but of course is harder to do than to say.

Whatwhatwhat Wed 26-Sep-12 07:47:54

Ok. I get you.

froggers1 Wed 26-Sep-12 10:48:47

Started this last night with my 6 mth old. Our DS is a terrible sleeper and we used Millpond twice which worked but never lasted. he is 3.5 and still gets up and comes in our bed about 3 nights a week....so wanting to get on top of DD's sleep before it becomes a real battle. She has slept through from 7-7 a few times so I know she is capable. She is EBF and I know that she is using me as a dummy in the night and not hungry cos she just comfort sucks. Sooo, my husband put her to bed last night instead of me feeding to sleep. Took 45 mins of pick up put down....then at 2:30 am another 45 mins. She did have some water in a bottle in the end - she has hardly had bottles at all so thats a miracle in itself! Up again happy as larry at 7am. I think the trick is to get someone else to do it if you are breastfeeding otherwise they can smell your milk. And to expect it to take a couple of weeks....ask me again in a fortnight! She'll probably cut a tooth and we will be back to square one but I am determined to give it a go this time!

Nigglenaggle Thu 27-Sep-12 21:40:55

I would like to hear in a month how you do, froggers smile I always worry I will miss a teething cry rather than a boredom or similar cry is the worry :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now