Talk

Advanced search

Freaking out about cot bumpers please talk sense to me

(31 Posts)
blossombath Sun 26-Aug-12 15:04:15

We'll soon be moving ds out into a clothed in he own room (he's nearly 6mo and has outgrown his crib in out room). Freaking out a bit about it, channelling that freaking out mainly onto cot bumpers. So sorryfor long rant on tedious subject.
When in cotbed for daytime naps or play he tends to roll around getting his legs or arms stuck, which I'm not too worried about, or he lifts his head up to look out and bangs it on the top bar of the cot. I am worried about at, not even sure if I should be...

So having read various threads about cot bumpers I still have some questions I hope you can help with

Bumpers/air wraps/bumpsters etc all seem to protect against trapped limbs and bumping head onthe actual bars etc...has anyone got a way to stop them banging head on the top (lateral) bar?

If I did get or make a cot bumper (since none fit a cot bed and they are so expensive), how could I fit it safely to the ends

blossombath Sun 26-Aug-12 15:06:57

Sorry, a cot bed in own room...

HappyCamel Sun 26-Aug-12 15:08:41

Cot bumpers aren't advised. It's much safer for them to get a small bruise from a wooden bar than push their face into the fabric or get caught in the ties.

fhdl34 Sun 26-Aug-12 16:16:55

I thought it was no cot bumpers till over 1yr and prob by then they wouldn't need it. When DD could roll from back to front but not back again, she rolled to the edge of her cot and her arm was hanging out down the side so she couldn't even prop herself up. If she'd have had a cot bumper her face would've been stuck in it and I wouldn't have heard her on the monitor. She does bump her head regularly on the bars but hasn't got a bruise yet, it's just a pita as it wakes her up

Iggly Sun 26-Aug-12 19:21:36

Dd had air wrap cot bumpers from birth (you can create through them and cannot climb on them).

How on earth would your ds hit his head on the lateral bit??

Iggly Sun 26-Aug-12 19:22:12

And the air wrap bumpers fit using Velcro so no ties.

MrsPnut Sun 26-Aug-12 19:24:45

He won't be damaged from bumping into bits of the cot but could possibly be from a cot bumper.

Kids are resilient, I know this because amazingly I have got one to 15 and another to 6 when I am the most relaxed parent possible.

JustFabulous Sun 26-Aug-12 19:26:41

Bumpers are awful.

I can't understand why anyone would use them.

They are a pointless but of kit.

JustFabulous Sun 26-Aug-12 19:27:51

bit, not but.

Nevercan Sun 26-Aug-12 20:25:06

Sorry but I have always used bumpers and they are great for stopping them catching arms and legs in gaps and bumping heads etc.

emsyj Sun 26-Aug-12 20:26:28

Please don't use a bumper. I know someone who lost a 9 month old baby due to suffocation on a cot bumper. They are dangerous and totally unnecessary.

CumberdickBendybatch Sun 26-Aug-12 20:28:11

Airwrap

I had the idea for these when DS was about 7mo, didn't exist when he was tiny. should probably have patented it, whoops. Still.. they look v good.

CumberdickBendybatch Sun 26-Aug-12 20:29:49

He will learn not to bang his head on the top bar before long, don't worry.

pmgkt Sun 26-Aug-12 20:32:29

If he is bumping his head on the top bar when rolling I would be more concerned about him going over the top then a few bruises, lower your cot please before its too late. Sorry if I have miss understood your post.

notwoo Sun 26-Aug-12 20:33:50

Lower the cot to the next level?
Air wrap is good

JustFabulous Mon 27-Aug-12 08:19:33

Think about it. Cot bumpers and quilts are sold as matching items for your baby's cot. You shouldn't use the bumper (at all imo) once they can pull themselves up and you shouldn't use a quilt until they are one. Therefore you are never going to have them in the cot together. Mums buy them as they look pretty but more than one child has died because of something happening with the bumper.

Nevercan, you were lucky. And why say sorry if you think you were right to use them?

blossombath Mon 27-Aug-12 21:09:07

He hits his head on the lateral bit when he rolls onto front and lifts his head up to look about but doesn't quite have proper control so sometimes his head flops sideways onto the bar iyswim. He can't sit up by himself or pull up yet; do you really think we need to lower cot? Was avoiding doing this as worried about knackering back lifting him in and out but obviously would rather knacker back than injure DD.

CumberdickBendybatch Mon 27-Aug-12 21:35:19

Yes, definitely lower the cot.

princesssmartypantss Tue 28-Aug-12 12:24:34

Its my understanding that you shouldn't use cot bumpers when babies are small because they can get caught under them, or overheat as they reduce air flow, which as previous posters have suggested can at worse result in cot death. As they get older they apparently can use them to help them climb out, so we didn't get one.
Ds used to roll about quite a bit, so tucking him in (with his feet to foot of cot) helped a bit, then we bought a sleeping bag and so now he doesn't get his feet stuck, and seems to be able to sort out his hands, although he is a bit older?

Iggly Tue 28-Aug-12 12:28:25

Yes lower the cot. Because he might stand up before you realise he can do it - dd did it in the cot when it was higher! Scared me!

dontlaugh Tue 28-Aug-12 12:37:00

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommend bumpers are NEVER used here. Anyone that ignores this advice is simply looking for trouble, imo.

Flisspaps Tue 28-Aug-12 12:44:09

I though you should lower the cot at 6mo when they start rolling and sitting up anyway?

Lexiesgirl Tue 28-Aug-12 12:53:54

Definitely lower the cot.

I was thinking about a bumper during the recent heat when DD was napping in just a vest and once got her leg stuck between the bars, fortunately while she was asleep so I was able to move it before she tried to pull it out. But she normally naps in her grobag, so she can't get legs stuck. Have you tried that?

blossombath Wed 29-Aug-12 10:47:23

Ok folks you have indeed spoken sense to me, thank you! I think the whole desire for a cot bumper was really just about me feeling the need to do something to mark/prepare for ds moving into his own room which is currently still filled with junk also acting as a spare room.

But I think moving the cot down to its next level will be a better way to prepare the room for him, and maybe spending one of his naptimes sorting out the room instead of freaking out on MN will help, too.

blossombath Wed 29-Aug-12 10:50:41

oh, and while I have anyone's attention, and since I'm asking stupid questions that make me seem a bit like a useless mum....

Now he's in the cotbed for naps he tends to roll around alot more and sometimes ends up on his front. I'm assuming that since he got there himself it's ok to leave him; I seem to remember nieces and nephews sleeping on their front as older babies. I've been leaving him at naptime since I'm awake and popping in to check him regularly, but would be more worried at night. However, one time we did move him back to his back when he was asleep in a friends cot and we were going to bed he woke up and was rather upset. Not keen to do that every night.

Any sense you can speak would be welcome.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: