Talk

Advanced search

What is a good age to put baby in cot.

(14 Posts)
red37 Sun 05-Mar-06 15:13:23

My ds2 is 5 months old and his slowly outgrowing his crib,which is at the side of our bed, what is good age to put him in his own room in a cot.
TIA

fastasleep Sun 05-Mar-06 15:17:02

Sounds like a good age, we have DD in her cot at hte side of the bed, have done since she outgrew her moses basket, she'll be going into her own room at 6 months when we'll start 'training' her lol to go through the night(ish)!

brimfull Sun 05-Mar-06 15:17:53

Put ds in cot around 5/6 weeks

BettySpaghetti Sun 05-Mar-06 15:21:02

Both of ours were in a Moses basket until around 12 weeks when we moved them into a cot. They were in their own room from 6 months.

brimfull Sun 05-Mar-06 15:23:32

We moved ours into their own rooms at 6 weeks aswell

Couldn't sleep with them in our room,I think my snoring and their snorting was too much.

beansprout Sun 05-Mar-06 15:47:48

Ds was in his cot from the start. Although he seemed pretty small in it we couldn't afford to go through two pieces of furniture in a few months and there was also a chance that he wouldn't like the change when it came, so we started as we meant to go on.

He was in our room for 6 months though (as per guidelines).

LadyTophamHatt Sun 05-Mar-06 16:21:16

Ds1 was in a moses basket until about 6 months
Ds2 was in it until about 8 weeks
Ds3 did'nt ever go in one!!

Not sure if there is aperfect time....just when the baby doesn't like it anymore.

nannyme Sun 05-Mar-06 16:36:30

Advice is 6 months for sleeping in own room. Own cot is about personal choice as much as anything. Cribs are cosier but they do of course get too big for them. Swaddling or semi-swaddling in a 'big' cot can be helpful.

WigWamBam Sun 05-Mar-06 16:50:03

Depends on what suits you really. If you are ready to let him go into a cot in his own room then that's the right time. My dd was in her own room in a cot right from the start (although we did put her in the carry cot inside the big cot up until she was about 6 months because she preferred that) and that worked for us.

There isn't a "right" or a "wrong" time - just what feels right for you and your baby.

PiccadillyCircus Sun 05-Mar-06 16:54:30

DD as been in a cot since about 8 weeks. She's nearly 24weeks now and still in our room

dandycandyjellybean Sun 05-Mar-06 17:08:52

Agree with WWB, it's what suits you. My ds was in his own room from a few days old as I was so 'tuned in' to his every noise I was getting no sleep at all, even when he was! Just put his moses basket inside his cot, and then last week (4 months old) moved him into his cot proper. He settled fine pretty much straight away, although I'm finding I'm having to tuck him in pretty tight so that he can't kick his covers off . If it's any help, I used to worry endlessly about doing the 'right' thing, but as a veteran mum of 4 months I now honestly believe that I know best....about my baby I mean, not life in general . Relax and trust your instincts, noone knows your baby better than you do!!! Whatever works for you is 'right'. hth.

red37 Mon 06-Mar-06 07:14:53

Thanks everyone. I might let him have a few little naps during the day in his cot in his own room and gently introduce him to sleep on his own. So when he is 6 months he will be sleeping on his own. Hopefully I will get another month out of the crib.
Thanks again for your good advice

Elf1981 Mon 06-Mar-06 07:35:16

My DD has just spent her second night in her cotbed. She first slept in a moses basket in our room, then a crib in our room.
She's five months old today. TBH she sleeps a lot better in the cotbed (touch wood). She had been sleeping through til the last few weeks when she started waking again, but now she's sleeping through again

Charlieslittleangel Tue 06-Jun-06 13:58:57

Mine went straight into a cot from newborn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: