Talk

Advanced search

newborn not following guidelines

(12 Posts)
princessofpersians Sun 20-May-12 09:51:08

Ds is 6 days old And has decided he won't sleep in his Moses basket at night and will only sleep in bed with me. Im really scared to get into co sleeping! Also i lie him on gist back and he rolls onto his side. How can i make this situation safe? Does he not know about guidelines smile

Clearlymisunderstood Sun 20-May-12 10:01:10

He obviously can't read yet wink
If you want to co sleep read up about it, there are ways to make it safe. Personally I never got enough sleep co sleeping so encouraged my dd into her Moses basket by warming it with a hot water bottle before I put her down and putting one of her soft toys down by bra for a few hours so it smelled of me.
Remember she's been inside for 9 log months and the world is a big scary place - she'll get it soon enough you just need to help her along a little bit. Congratulations on your new arrival!

Clearlymisunderstood Sun 20-May-12 10:01:38

Oops sorry it's a boy blush he'll learn soon!

HandMadeTail Sun 20-May-12 10:02:33

I had this with DC3.

I tried everything. I fed him, and popped him quietly back to bed. He woke up and cried.

I walked the floor with him, and when he was asleep, I popped him back to bed. He woke up and cried.

So, in the end, we unofficially co-slept for about a month, and then one day, after he had slept on my bed during the day (surrounded by pillows) I tried to put him in his crib at night. Hurrah! - Sucess!

So, no advice, really, but I hope it works out for you, too. smile

HandMadeTail Sun 20-May-12 10:03:34

Success, I mean.

Whatnamethistime Sun 20-May-12 10:05:45

cosleeping is fab

Fraktal Sun 20-May-12 10:24:00

Cosleeping is fine as long as you follow the guidelines grin

Better to cosleep consciously and safely than accidentally and potentially unsafely.

Rubirosa Sun 20-May-12 10:27:30

If you are breastfeeding and don't smoke then I would co-sleep. There are lots of guides to safe co-sleeping online.

AlfieBear87 Sun 20-May-12 14:42:59

Have you tried swaddling him? It was the only way our DS slept in his Moses basket at that age. we found mothercares miracle blanket the best.

princessofpersians Sun 20-May-12 19:40:35

Thanks for replies. I spoke to mw today who showed me new guidelines for co sleeping wwhich are much less anti co sleeping so its really put my mind at rest that I'm not doing anything terrible! Going to enjoy ds waiting me so much before he grows up and gets too cool for his mummy smile

fhdl34 Sun 20-May-12 21:29:20

has your OH tried to put your DS into his Moses basket? Around this time my DD wouldn't be settled by me at all, I think the fact I smelt of milk was too confusing for her. I'd try for ages to get her to go down and she just wouldn't settle. DH would take her out of the room and within 5 minutes she'd be asleep. Thankfully it didn't last too long and by the time he returned to work when she was 2.5wks she would settle much better for me.

user1492632944 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:43:09

why do parents may not want to follow the guide lines to the back to sleep campaign and what can we do to overcome that challenge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now