Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone put a young baby in their own room?

(114 Posts)
BellaCB Thu 08-Mar-12 15:37:02

DD is 6 weeks old and we're wondering about moving her into her own room in the next few weeks. Partly this is because she will soon be too big for her moses basket, as she's a long baby, and we can't fit the cot into our room. But it is also partly because she is so incredibly noisy! DP and I are struggling to get decent sleep even though DD is (blissfully) at the moment sleeping from 8pm-3.30am. She's not too noisy when we go to bed, but after her 3.30 feed she snorts and grunts and does this really odd stretching manouevre complete with enormous groans, even though she is asleep - which keeps us awake! We've tried all different ways and times to settle her after this feed but nothing has altered the noises, its obviously just something she does. Also, DP and I go to bed and wake up at different times most nights so I wonder if we are disturbing her.

Anyway, because we don't have a spare room, or room for a spare bed in the nursery, I'm starting to wonder about moving her into her own room. The doors with be open so we will hear her when she gets unsettled (as opposed to just snorting!). Has anyone else moved their LO over at 8-10 weeks-ish?

slavetosiamesecat Tue 13-Mar-12 10:37:34

We moved our DS into his own room at 12 weeks, he was too big for moses basket, he was a noisy sleeper and I would not dare get up for a wee during the night in case I woke him! We read all the SIDS research and made the decison which was right for us as a family. We did however get a movement sensor for his cot so if anything did happen we could react quickly. We will all make decisions for our babies which not everyone agrees with, you do what is right for you and your own family.

BellaCB Tue 13-Mar-12 12:58:05

lucid - no worries, and sorry I snapped - we're all tired! (not surprisingly, given this thread grin)

MadameChinLegs Wed 14-Mar-12 15:13:31

I was all ready to put DD into her own room at birth, but once she arrived, I kept her next to me in her basket. This was purely as I love having her there. She's now in a travel cot in our room as I cant bear to put her in her own room (the ONLY reason is that I feel like I will miss her. She's ready to go).

I have told myself she will be going in a fortnight.

She's 12 weeks.

ItsTimeToBurnThisDiscoDown Wed 14-Mar-12 15:57:05

Exactly ChippingIn - the other risk factors for SIDS were all small (we don't smoke, he's bf etc.), whereas he would have thrown himself out of the Moses basket in the night, so we did what we had to.

ChippingInNeedsCoffee Wed 14-Mar-12 19:30:03

MadameChinLegs - what do you mean by 'she's ready to go'? She's 12 weeks (not months? - just checking). If she's 12 weeks, have you read the info regarding the greater risk of SIDS if the baby doesn't share you room for the first 6 months? As I said (several times) everyone has the right to make their own decisions, I just worry that so many people don't get told the information about it and are basing their decisions on things that don't actually alter the rate of SIDS - things like 'other people do it'.

MadameChinLegs Wed 14-Mar-12 19:38:06

I have read the SIDS advice, Chipping, DD is on her back to sleep, feet to foot, with a dummy if she wants it, in a non smoking house and in her own bed (has never been brought into bed with us). She was not premature, nor was she a low birthweight, all of which are 'risk' factors.

Sleeping in the same room as the parents for the first six months is one of the many things listed. As it is, DD is exceptionally low risk. The advice says baby should have all of it's sleeps in a room with you, but she naps in various places (cot, pram, bouncer chair) while I potter, so she isn't in a room with me for all her sleeps. Also, she is now going through the night, so no milk required overnight.

nowwearefour Wed 14-Mar-12 19:50:43

mine went into their own rooms on around days 3/4 (whenever i came out of hospital).

ceeveebee Wed 14-Mar-12 20:03:43

Just out of interest, does anyone know if there is any impact if the baby is sharing a room with another child (in my case, twins, who have been in their own room since 6 weeks, with me or nanny in there most nights but not always)

Thanks

ceeveebee Wed 14-Mar-12 20:05:02

Oh and they go to bed in their room at 7pm so are alone for a few hours first. Daytime naps are either in pram or travelcot, but I am not usually in the same room (showers/toilet breaks/cooking etc whil they nap)

somewherewest Wed 28-Mar-12 16:10:28

DS (now 16 weeks) slept in his own room almost from the beginning. I have serious issues with insomnia and anxiety regarding sleep blah blah and couldn't sleep at all with him in the room, so we weighed the very small increased risk of SIDS against the risk of me just not coping and failing him in much more serious ways (have history of depression). I do feel guilty, even though he is low risk in every other way, but none of us is perfect and we're doing our best.

somewherewest Wed 28-Mar-12 16:15:04

PS Just wanted to add that if we had the space I would consider putting a bed in DS's room so that we could take turns sharing with him while the other got a decent night's sleep back in our bedroom, but we don't.

BellaCB Wed 28-Mar-12 19:10:28

somewhere, I think it is all about weighing up risks and making the right decision for your family. I'm the same, I think if there had been room for a spare bed somewhere then we would have gone down that route.

DD is now in her own room and actually sleeping longer, as the 3am 'whinge' that we used to react to at once has turned out just to be exactly an asleep 'whinge', and she actually sleeps through until 5.30. We all feel so much better. Having said that, we're still being sensible and any night she has seemed a little poorly i.e. after her jabs, we have had her back in with us.

benne81 Thu 29-Mar-12 19:34:07

Ds slept in his own room from 3weeks (although I slept in there on a camp bed until he was 8weeks). The research that the SIDS are basing there guideline on isn't particularly strong and the research looks more at cosleeping than room sharing. Each to there own really. Remeber the SIDS advice is just a guideline - something magical doesn't happen on the day babies turn 6months that means they can sleep in their own room. People just have to use common sense. (I think in Australia the advice is 6weeks - according to
my friend who is in melbourne) x

minicc Fri 30-Mar-12 08:35:02

Our girlie went in her own room the day we moved into our new house- she was 6 weeks. We all slept better because of it, and didn't need a monitor as I have psychic mummy hearing that jolted me awake if she was waking up anyway! Try and see, if it doesn't work then bring her back into your room, no harm done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »