Talk

Advanced search

sleeping on the stomach ,,,when is it safe ?

(15 Posts)
cords Sun 09-Nov-03 05:26:30

I have found that 2 mth old DD sleeps "better" or rather more heavily when on her front. However, is this not wise since she is not able to roll yet ?

Karen99 Sun 09-Nov-03 10:31:00

Hi Cords, my DS would only sleep on his front too around this age- he would go down without a murmur on his tummy, but if put down on his back he would scream the house down. For daytime naps we continued with this routine until a few weeks ago (ds is now 4.5months), when he started to want to be rocked to sleep before being put on his tummy (defeats the object!). So now we've reverted to back sleeping.

I found particularly napping on his tummy in the day wasn't a problem as I had the baby monitor close to hand and could always hear him. He would go down at 7/8pm on his tummy and when he woke for his next night-time feed he would then go back in his cot on his back. I felt I couldn't hear him so well when I went into a deep sleep myself, so for peace of mind we did this. He was so sleepy after a feed he was happy to do that.

So personally, I see nothing wrong with tummy sleeping at this age, as long as you are comfortable with the decision (for me that was being able to hear the monitor clearly).

DS has just started to roll from his back to front (VERY EXCITING! ) but not the other way yet, so I'm not sure what he'll end up doing at night. I'm hoping his sleeping bag will keep him on his back for a little while longer until he can do it both ways.

HTH

magnum Sun 09-Nov-03 10:33:46

Karen99, your last point about your ds rolling from back to front, that is exactly what my dd is doing in her sleeping back. Please read baby bolster thread. Have you heard of these?

Karen99 Sun 09-Nov-03 14:23:58

Hi Magnum, I didn't know you could buy something, but my sil said she used to roll up a hand towel and place one on either side of my nephew. Other sleeping bag threads have said that babies can do nearly everything in their bags, including climbing out of the cot etc!

I must admit as my DS has slept on his tummy for 1-2 months I know he is strong enough to lift himself up onto his forearms if need be. So I won't worry too much (a mum saying she won't worry - scratch that! ). I kinda think that if he's strong enough to roll over in his bag then he should be strong enough to sleep on his chest.. but obviously I'd prefer if he didn't..

Will ask my sil if she has any other advice for you.

SoupDragon Sun 09-Nov-03 14:30:41

I believe it's "safe" once you can on longer stop them rolling over although you should always put them down on their backs. I had a bolster for DS2,

popsycal Sun 09-Nov-03 16:38:01

advice on cot death is that you should always put them on their back.
however, as soon as my ds could roll onto his side, he slept on his side (around 5 mths ish)
and as soon as he could roll on his tunny, he slept on his tummy and has done so ever since
is still put him down on his back tho - he is 15 mths) but he prefers to sleep on his tum with his hands under his belly and his bottom in the air!
medical advice is on the back tho until they are able to roll onto tum and back again

cords Tue 18-Nov-03 10:49:53

DD is now 2.5 mths and I have for the past 4 nights put her on her tummy after she has woken up for first time during the night and I have found that this keeps her from waking again. I know what they say abt SIDS but I have observed her and she can turn her head until she is comfortable., and if not she will cry. I am a really light sleeper and wake at her every sound anyway . I hope that I am doing the right thing inmy search for some sleep.

Karen99 , how old was yr DS when you allowed him to sleep on tummy ?

cords Tue 18-Nov-03 10:53:28

DD is now 2.5 mths and I have for the past 4 nights put her on her tummy after she has woken up for first time during the night and I have found that this keeps her from waking again. I know what they say abt SIDS but I have observed her and she can turn her head until she is comfortable., and if not she will cry. I am a really light sleeper and wake at her every sound anyway . I hope that I am doing the right thing inmy search for some sleep.

Karen99 , how old was yr DS when you allowed him to sleep on tummy ?

cords Tue 18-Nov-03 10:56:04

bathtime ... I am not sure where to go with this subject ....but my DD has suddenly started to scream when put into the bath (one which is on top of set of drawers type)... I am baffled as to why. Have tried changing water temp and giving her a good feed and allowing gd rest before hand , but cannot come up with an explanation... Has ANYONE experienced this and come up with an answer ? It is so upsetting each day to know that she is going to hate it ... She gets bathed every day btw 5:30pm and 6pm.

Help!

twiglett Tue 18-Nov-03 11:01:48

message withdrawn

maomao Tue 18-Nov-03 11:05:19

Hi cords,

Not sure whether you want to do this or not, but my daughter when thru the same thing, pretty much until 5 months. We did a couple of things:

1. Got a baby bathtub, which seemed to help her not feel so lost
2. Put a warm cloth on her chest/tummy, or your hand, which seemed to soothe her
3. Or I would get in the bath with her and bathe her whilst she sat in my lap. The problem is that you need someone to do a hand-off to when getting out of the tub!

Now my daughter actually loves the bath, and splashes about

Bron Tue 18-Nov-03 11:24:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cords Wed 19-Nov-03 00:35:16

Maybe I shld skip the bath for a while then ... It does seem as if she is suddenly scared of the water ...werid !
Unfortunately no-one around to help if I get in bath with teh baby ...somehow, I do not think it wld matter though as I think she is suddenly scared of the water.

DD practically slept thro' the night on tummy ... I was so worried that everytime she made a sound I got up so I gets defeats purpose of me getting restful night ! However, it shows that she never needed all those feeds at night. However she squirms e'where ... I suppose I will need to get those douvets that they wear

One thing tho' her nappy was SOAKED thro to her belly !!! How do you combat the overloaded nappy scenario when they do not wake in the night ?????

Karen99 Wed 19-Nov-03 09:35:05

Hi Cords, sorry I haven't replied again until now. My DS was just 2 and a bit months. The advice to try tummy settling came from my mum after she thought he prefers his tummy as the only place he would nap for a long time was on my chest.

Just thought of the reason why we changed back to back settling, don't want to scare you but thought it best to mention than not so you can look out for this - DS got in the habbit of sleeping on his tummy with both hands up so he could rest his forehead on them. This then meant his mouth was straight down into the mattress. He could still get air in at the sides but I started to notice that I couldn't hear him on the monitor as clearly and every time I went to check I'd find him in that position, rather than head to the side which he'd being doing for months.

One of the SIDS possibilities is when the baby breathes in too much carbon dioxide, usually when face is down or covered by their arms. He started doing this almost every nap, so that's why I reverted to back sleeping at 4months. He still grizzles (and more!) when I put him down on his back and so far the sleeping bag is stopping him from going over to his tummy again. I will probaly let him sleep on either side once he can roll back both ways.

So a compromise was on tummy at 7pm and then at next waking onto back for rest of the night. Must admit this was after a feed so he was very grogy when going back.

As for the bath problem, we found a few new bath toys did the trick. He gets excited every time now as he gets to play with the "special" toys which only come out at this time. Also agree about a flanel on the tummy, keeps them warm and snug. Also found to put them in slowly, toes first and then up to bottom before laying them back so they could adjust to the temp and feeling.

As for nappy leaking - fraid I can't help with that one as we too get the same problem!

Apologies for the v. v. v. long post!

cords Thu 20-Nov-03 00:25:07

tks karen99...

DD does turn her head to side ... i actually turn it more when she is asleep and when I check it is still turned. Anothjer idea my Mum gave was to get a bad with rice to weigh down slighlty on tummy so baby feels as if she is pressed on chest for comfort ... am still finding the appropriate bag !

as for bath ... hmmm .. think she is sc ared of the water ...
also, i am still cuddlling baby to sleep or almost ... am ok with that and hve finally come to sane and most humane conclusion thart cc is not for DD whilst so young ... my DP is relieved I hve made that decision ! Sod it, she needs her Mum , so be it !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: