Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need help with 6 month old

(4 Posts)
whostolemyname Mon 24-Oct-11 14:11:17

Hello, please can you help me!

My dd is 25 weeks old, currently EBF with plans to start weaning this coming week - not sure if will BLW or puree etc yet.

Over the last 3 or so weeks she has been waking up every 1-1.5 hours overnight and i have to feed her back to sleep. I have tried just rocking/patting/cuddling/white noise, as has my husband but only feeding works. Prior to this she was feeding every 2-4 hours overnight and I was fine with that.

Will weaning help or make it worse?

Is it ok to try and give water at night instead at this age to wean her off night feeds or is that wrong? She is only on the 9th centile so i dont want her to lose any weight. I dont know what else to do and im so tired I cant carry on with such little broken sleep much longer.

Thanks for reading

hardboiledpossum Mon 24-Oct-11 14:42:33

I started night weaning with water at three months but DS was 98th centile. I think as you DD is on the small side I would not cut out all night feeds until she is established on solids. Could you decide two times that you are happy to feed her and then offer water at the other times, so maybe give her a feed around 11 and another feed at 3? Could your partner go to her and comfort her if she wakes up a other times?

whostolemyname Mon 24-Oct-11 16:10:14

Thanks hardboiledpossum, that sounds like a good idea. Im so worried about it all as I have heard weaning can lead to weight loss. We have tried to comfort without feeding but it doesn't work. I think we will try water once or twice tonight.

coraltoes Mon 24-Oct-11 16:28:22

I'd wait tilyou have solids established before cutting milk back, especially if she is 9th centile. Yu may find a full belly in the evening, especially when she has protein, might reduce the waking anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now