Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - query about hotel cot mattresses

(6 Posts)
LoveInAColdGrave Mon 24-Oct-11 12:51:05

Have just booked a hotel for a friend's wedding next year, when our first baby will be about 15 weeks old (I am 19+4 weeks pregnant at the moment). I have asked for a cot in the room, but it's occurred to me that if you're not supposed to use a secondhand mattress at home, is it ok to put the baby to sleep for one night in a hotel cot which has presumably been used by lots of other babies? Do I need to take our own cot mattress? That seems a bit OTT but I literally have no idea. I am assuming that by 15 weeks the baby will probably have outgrown a moses basket, so that won't work? Could he/she maybe sleep in the carrycot part of the pram (we're getting a Bugaboo which I think says is ok for occasional all night use), or will he/she be a bit big for that by 15 weeks? Do we need to take a travel cot instead?

I suppose this may be something which becomes totally obvious once the baby arrives, but right now I am totally bemused (and also a touch panicked by the fact that we are now receiving invitations for things that will be taking place after the baby arrives - it's all becoming very real!).

TIA.

narmada Mon 24-Oct-11 14:16:30

Your baby will be fine on a travel cot mattress! I think the advice about only using new mattresses has now been changed as there was found to be no link between mattress newness and SIDS. Could be wrong tho.

If you've got an early developer it's possible that by around 16 weeks your baby could be rolling and therefore would not really be safe in a confined space with padded sides like a carrycot.

LoveInAColdGrave Mon 24-Oct-11 15:12:40

Thanks - so the travel cot mattress provided by the hotel is fine and we don't need to take our own?

Oh god, I think I am going to be so PFB blush. A friend who will have a baby by then of almost exactly the same age is going too so I don't want to be the one who rocks up with a carload of stuff while she has a small handbag and baby in a sling.

narmada Tue 25-Oct-11 15:26:14

They are sometimes a bit insubstantial, those cot mattresses that come with travel cots - basically a bit of jointed plywood with some foam padding on it. But your baby probably won't care!

I wouldn't bother taking your own mattress because it may not be the right size and mattresses should be flush with cot sides to avoid the risk of bits getting stuck. You could always put something

You could always buy your own travel cot - there are really good ones that fold down to nothing.

Pancakeflipper Tue 25-Oct-11 15:32:42

I have used cots provided in accommodation before - but I do tend to take own sheets to cover over them. I might be abit OTT though.....

LoveInAColdGrave Tue 25-Oct-11 17:32:13

Thank you all - very helpful and reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now