Talk

Advanced search

Can a new born cope with building work?

(8 Posts)
Ljwillo Mon 24-Oct-11 08:56:01

On first day home from hospital after birth of ds, new neighbour announced they will be starting a loft conversion this week which will take until Christmas. Any ideas as to whether new babies can cope with this? At the moment it's all so beautifully peaceful and I worry that our new lovely life is about to be turned upside down!!

Gigondas Mon 24-Oct-11 08:59:10

Yes - we had new bathroom put in when dd was 3 weeks old (building work went on for about 3 months). Dd got used to it and the noise was in next room (ie 6ft away through a wall). If it was a very noisy day I would take her Moses basket to another bit of house or let her nap but actually I think it did her good as learned to drop off without total silence.

trixymalixy Mon 24-Oct-11 09:00:40

A baby Does not have peace and quiet in the womb. If your baby gets used to sleeping through lots of building work , then there will be no need fir you to tiptoe around.

My DS would sleep through drilling and allsorts because he was used to it.

NatashaBee Mon 24-Oct-11 13:16:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeilsBoar Mon 24-Oct-11 13:26:06

I just read your thread title and thought that's probably a little young to be setting him or her to work... <not helpful>

On a slightly more serious note our DS is a terrible sleeper, but noise is not something that has ever seemed to particularly bother him; teething, digestion etc.. all woke him but the builders drilling in the wall adjoining his bedroom he slept through! Your Mileage May Vary...

MadameCastafiore Mon 24-Oct-11 13:27:21

We had our kitchen ripped back to bare brick when DS was tiny and he was fine - stressful for me with all the dust and having to use bathroom for washing up but as yu won't have dust etc I am sure you willbe fine.

notcitrus Mon 24-Oct-11 13:37:42

Oh yes. We had no roof when ds was born (we had scaffolders, roofers, chippy, leccy and some other bloke all turn up the day I went into labour, and that was typical for the next 3 months).
He slept when he felt like it just fine.

Me, however... actually it worked quite well as it was an incentive to get out of the house and walk to a cafe/baby group, and if I really wanted a nap the living room was quiet enough. The loft conversion next door (started just beforehand) was only noisily disruptive for a few days.

Ljwillo Mon 24-Oct-11 14:44:50

Thank you all so much! I've been totally panicking as news arrived during a little bout of baby blues. However totally cheered up now, and will def use it as a reason to get out and about!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now