Talk

Advanced search

DD 2 and half still not sleeping through.......

(5 Posts)
andreasutton Sat 22-Oct-11 21:40:21

Hi,

My DD is 2 1/2 years old and still not sleeping through the night, she wakes anything from twice a night to every half hour.

We have tried controlled crying and gradual withdrawal from the room. We have been told by HV to try what she calls tough love. We put her down at 7.30pm and do not go to her until time to get up the next morning.

I should take 3 nights from night one up to 3 hours screaming, night 2 uo to 1 1/2 hours screaming to night 3 up to 20 minutes screaming and night 4 sleeping through.

Each time we set out to do as we are told eg controlled crying or this tough love at about night 3 she becomes ill normally a cough which lasts up to 2 weeks.

I have been to the doctors and they basically laughed at me and referred me back to the HV.

Please can anyone tell me should I try tough love and stick it out no matter what or do you have any other advise.

Thanks in advance. xx

Zoidberg Tue 25-Oct-11 17:22:07

Sorry, no advice but didn't want you to go unanswered. DD 2.5 today, has never slept through. Sometimes 8-4 before a wake up, sometimes every couple of hours. Sometimes 5 mins awake, sometimes half hour.

We decided we didn't want to do the crying thing so can't help there, but you're not alone, I think many more children don't sleep through as toddlers than people realise, certainly all the kids I know who haven't had sleep training do not yet sleep through.

roundtoit Tue 25-Oct-11 17:34:35

My DS did not sleep through till he was SIX ,they are all different i tried everything under the sun and used to go into his room , say its sleepy time , tuck him in and go back to bed some nights its got so bad that i would bring him into our bed just so i could get some sleep which i know was the wrong thing to do but hey ho needs must sometimes.

TonksmarriedaWerewolf Tue 25-Oct-11 17:45:06

DS 2.2 has never slept through without some form of medical help. The last few nights i've been doing the 'mummy will be back in a minute' routine, then leaving him in bed awake. Sometimes he'll call after a little while, but mostly he'll drop off alone.

This is a child who has never been able to fall asleep without playing with my hair! Two nights ago he was up for an hour and a half. Last night it was 10 mins. I'm hoping we're getting there.

DDs were never this much trouble, i only had to mention CC and they slept through!

andreasutton Wed 26-Oct-11 11:37:00

Thank you ladies for your support, it is good to know we are not alone.

After a completely horrible day yesterday by some miracle she slept from 7.30pm to 5.10am, totally gobsmacked is the word and I know it is prob a one off but I feel like a new woman today.

The only different thing I did last night (you may all think I'm bonkers) but I prayed.

Thanks again ladies

A xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now