Talk

Advanced search

4 week old just won't sleep

(5 Posts)
mummy2l Sat 22-Oct-11 21:25:43

Just that really. He's 4 weeks on Mon and will only fall asleep on the boob. I can't put him down without him waking even on the bed next to me. If I put him in his basket his eyes ping back open and gets so over tired if he wakes o can't even rock him to sleep in his pram sad I've tried a dummy but he seems to choke on it and spit it out. He also feeds for hours at a time and never goes longer than 90mins max between feeds.
I took him to docs and she isn't worried as ds has gained 12oz this week.

Am trying to push through it but have an older dc to look after so really need some sleep as can't catch up during the day sad

Sorry its so long I would be grateful for any help sad

ascouser Sat 22-Oct-11 23:19:17

Would you say he his feeding effectively? If he his working hard for his dinner, then he may be wearing himself out at the breast,falling asleep through exhaustion and then waking sooner to 'finish' the dinner he started! IYSWIM.
Try to get the best latch possible, even try breast compression al la dr jack Newman (google and YouTube) to try and give him starter, main and pudding in one sitting, as it were.
HTH

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sat 22-Oct-11 23:24:09

Any chance you could express? I agree it sounds as though he might not be finishing his feed properly.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sat 22-Oct-11 23:24:46

Sorry - just mean for 1 or 2 bottles in the night to see if you could get a little more sleep

mummy2l Sun 23-Oct-11 02:58:55

Thanks for your replies smile ascouser I have been wondering if he had been feeding efficiently for a while as every feed takes so long but gp and Hv said it was fine as weight gain was so good and there are plenty of wet and dirty nappies but having looked at the videos I don't think he has been Gah!! Have adjusted his latch and done the compression so will see if it makes a difference smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now