Talk

Advanced search

My Newborn just won't settle at night

(9 Posts)
vampkitty81 Fri 21-Oct-11 22:22:08

Our little monkey just does not settle for sleep at night. We tried bathing her and then feeding her in a quiet environment with dim lighting. She would tend to drop off to sleep but within no time what so ever hell breaks loose and no matter what we do, we cannot calm her. Me and my hubby were up till 5.30am this morning and I just feel like a broken woman today. We started giving her colic drops 3 days ago as her crying was just inconsolable but last night she still was in a state sad Is there any advice?? How do you settle your bundles of sleepless joys??

Littlefish Fri 21-Oct-11 22:24:36

How old is she?

Littlefish Fri 21-Oct-11 22:26:55

If she is newborn, then you are being unrealistic in your expectations. she doesn't know which is day or night, she will just sleep when she's tired and be awake when she's hungry or for other short periods. The early days are hard. Try and sleep during the day when she is asleep. Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding?

vampkitty81 Fri 21-Oct-11 22:27:13

She is just over 2 weeks old and the first week she was in Special Care as she was not feeding and sleeping constantly.

Iggly Fri 21-Oct-11 22:27:46

How old? Id ditch the bath routine as most babies get overtired so easily. DS was like this for the first few weeks and mostly cause by being overtired. I had to be careful that he didn't get overstimulated in the day - don't keep them awake for more than an hour (2 hours absolutely max if a bit older). Don't underestimate the important of naps. Let them sleep on you if need be - get a sling. Keep them near you!

I remember being up until half 5 one terrible night/morning - hell. Once we'd cracked the daytime (I used a sling a lot which got DS into a routine of sleeping), he would sleep at night. He did wake every 2 hours bit that was partly because he had reflux but at least I could feed and he'd sleep again as opposed to stay awake screaming his head off.

Iggly Fri 21-Oct-11 22:29:37

Oh she's tiny. Forget the bedtime routine, pop her in a sling in the day, take her out, especially in early afternoon (sun helps set the clock) - but could take a few more weeks to get the hang of day vs night.

vampkitty81 Fri 21-Oct-11 22:31:58

thank you smile I will use the sling tomorrow....it was just really upsetting for me and my hubby watching her get so distressed these past few nights.

kiwijesta Fri 21-Oct-11 22:42:20

I think it can take a while for babies to 'get' day and night, our DD took at least 5/6 weeks. We made an effort to make night and day as different as possible, eg sleeps downstairs in the day, with curtains open and in the dark at night. Good luck, and congrats on your new baby! smile

Northernlurker Fri 21-Oct-11 22:42:29

Two weeks ago she had a continual sound track of your heartbeat and all the sounds of the outside world transmitted through your skin and the amniotic fluid. She won't like the dead quiet and she's too young for bedtime. Lots of babies have a very hungry time in the early evening. I would try and feed her as much as you can and then have her near to you- perhaps downstairs in bouncer or basket - then if she settles you go to bed then and get a couple of hours in. If she wakes later dh can go to bed and you can take over. At this point she has two aims - firstly to keep you near - and if she can't hear or sense you she will get herself in a right lather and secondly - to feed and grow - for which she needs you near (see above) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now