Talk

Advanced search

10wk old with a cold - long daytime naps - should I worry?

(5 Posts)

My 10wk old has had a cold (poor love!) for the last few days and has started taking a long lunchtime nap (2-3 hours for last three days).

Now I know that 'contented little babies' all have long lunchtime naps and tbh I'd love it if this was his new pattern as it would give me time for a sleep or just to do 'stuff' in the middle of the day. However, I've been feeding 'on demand' & he usually only naps for 45 mins at a time.

Should I be worried that he is more poorly than I thought or is this a normal response to a cold? (I have one too & would love to just crawl into bed & sleep so I can understand why he is resting so much!)

Any tips for getting him to settle later today after his long naps? Last couple of nights he's slept well (waking every three hours for a feed, which is good for him; it's sometimes as often as every 90 mins) but it's been a nightmare getting him to settle at the start of the night.

Thanks smile

mammainlove Fri 21-Oct-11 17:30:18

Hello, I think it's normal for them to sleep a lot when theyr not well, my dd does and its really good that they do as they need more rest (as do us mammas!) Obviously keep an eye on her if you're worried, I.e. if she is still drowsy when she s awake or if she has a temperature etc. When putting her to bed at night do what you usually do I think, id recommend more cuddles, warm bath, gentle rocking to ambient music etc. Best of luck xx

mammainlove Fri 21-Oct-11 17:33:29

Oops sorry I meant he not she blush

matana Sat 22-Oct-11 14:11:47

My DS goes one of two ways when he's ill. He'll either wake after only 30 mins during the day and be very unsettled at night, or he'll sleep for hours both day and night. With a cold he tends to sleep, with something more serious (like tonsillitis recently) he struggles to sleep. He's 11 mo. I agree with lots of cuddles, warm bath and a little massage, co-sleep safely through the night if he's unsettled. If he has a slight temperature then offer milk more regularly to keep him hydrated. But the cuddles always make them feel better, however old they are!

Thank you. I'm definitely following the cuddles advice grin

He had another LONG nap at lunchtime today, but I'm less worried now as he also had his best ever night last night despite the long naps yesterday (only woke me up once for a feed, whooooooooop, it's usually two or three times!)

I'm guessing this is all to do with the cold, but really, REALLY hoping that this is a new pattern. Two hours sleep at lunchtime and only one get up in the night? I could live with that!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now