Talk

Advanced search

When did your baby stop sleeping on you?

(10 Posts)
OrangeGloss Thu 20-Oct-11 04:08:55

DS is 7 weeks old, and for the lady 2 weeks has only been able to sleep on me, having previously slept in his basket.

I accept he's little and wants comfort, but anyone who has had this, could you tell me what age your baby grew out of this? Did you do anything in particular?

I know every baby is unique but it might help my positivity to hear some stories. I didn't realise how good I had it until he stopped!

Daisybell1 Thu 20-Oct-11 08:30:28

<sleepily waves hello to orange>
No advice here but think we're entering the same phase. DD's 3 weeks old (but was 2 weeks late) and for the last few days has refused to sleep in her basket. She'll sleep on me but prefers OH. We wondered if it was because she was cold but think it may be more than that...

OrangeGloss Thu 20-Oct-11 08:55:22

Hey Daisy smile we think it may have been triggered by a massive growth spurt, he'll now <touch wood> sleep on his own at night again

I'm sure it's just the heat. Maybe she can smell your milk and it wakes her thinking she's hungry

LittleWaveyLines Thu 20-Oct-11 09:46:20

... in answer to your question - about 8 weeks! grin and she just grew out of it. Still needs me within arms reach at night if she wakes up or she gets angry, and mostly still naps on me.... she's 16 weeks.

redcamels Thu 20-Oct-11 10:17:57

I can't remember how old he was when he stopped but I found that putting him down to 'play' on his own when he was awake really helped. I still sat next to him for the first few times but then gradually moved further away. He learnt that it was ok not to be surgically attached to myself or DH all the time.

Daisybell1 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:45:31

Thanks for the reassurance.

DD will only really fall asleep on us but settled in her basket last night after i popped a light blanket over her sleeping bag, and put a warm wheat bag in the bed when I took her out to feed. She seemed to settle really well after this so fingers crossed she was just cold.

mammainlove Fri 21-Oct-11 12:14:53

Hiya, my 16mo still only falls to sleep on us. I guess I didn't try to put her down on her own until recently. By all means I don't think there s a right or wrong and each baby is unique like you said, it just felt natural to hold her close as much as possible for the first few months especially when she was falling asleep. Sorry if that s not helpful. Just follow your heart, don't feel rushed into anything. Best of luck x

BananaPie Fri 21-Oct-11 13:23:11

My dd probably started having naps in her basket / crib around 3 months. It took a bit of effort - I decided that I'd had enough of sitting on the sofa holding a sleeping baby and made a concerted effort to put her down when she fell asleep, and eventually started deliberately putting her down for naps when she seemed tired. Enjoy the cuddles for now though!

snitchrose168 Fri 21-Oct-11 22:44:01

DS spent the first 6 months only sleeping on chests. Now he is 15 months and kicks to get into his cot to fall asleep. I miss holding and cuddling him to sleep! So, in short, enjoy this time and don't worry too much. They don't stay new borns for long. You'll know when it's the right time to start sleep training and making sure your DS sleeps in his cot. As Banana said, enjoy the cuddles for now!

OrangeGloss Sat 22-Oct-11 09:27:59

Thanks that's reassuring that it will happen in time, and no need to rush. I hate it when everyone's telling me to leave him to cry, he's only little and needs his mummy sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now