Talk

Advanced search

Ds hates travel cot, do u have any other solutions?

(11 Posts)
bluesmile10 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:25:53

My 17 mo ds hates sleeping in his travel cot. He wakes up nearly every time he turns over and it's horrendous! He doesn't use it often but in a few weeks we are going away again and I'm dreading it! I just wondered if anyone had any other good ideas for sleeping arrangements while were away.

sam26oscar Thu 13-Oct-11 21:36:21

I feel your pain!! Ds wasn't bothered by travel cot and so when DD came along i thought she would be the same...no way!! i stayed o/n @ my sisters a few weeks ago and was up 6 times as DD was so unsettled. I was dreading our holiday to center parks last week as i thought that the cot would be a travel one, so i was very grin when i saw it was a proper cot!! Could you perhaps pad the mattress out by putting a fleecy blanket under the matress? i always think that they don't sleep as the matress is so crappy and thin. It can't be because its too small as its really wider than a normal cot! Could you maybe co-sleep just whilst your away?? If he does wake at least your laid down!!!

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Oct-11 21:40:03

Toddler Ready Bed

But at 17 months my DS slept happily in a bed.

Iggly Thu 13-Oct-11 21:42:15

Is he sleeping on a hard thin mattress? The travel cot mattresses are usually pants. Plus noisy too.

I put a sheepskin and a wool blanket under DS's sheet when in a travel cot so much softer for sleeping on. Otherwise it's pretty hard - I wouldn't sleep on it!

PaschaTheSlasher Thu 13-Oct-11 21:42:46

What about getting him a readybed? He's technically a bit young but I can't see what he could really do if it's on the floor and the room is secure?

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Oct-11 21:44:26

No solutions, sorry, other what we did: co-sleeping. I didn't/don't like it, but sleep trumps all other concerns.

bettieblue Thu 13-Oct-11 21:49:47

My DS is a lot younger (4 mths) and the first time we put him in the travel cot he screamed. The mattress as others have mentioned are awful. I bought a travel cot mattress from amazon, the thickest i could find- 7cm and the next time he used it he went down fine. The downside is the mattress isn't foldable so bulky for transporting but we all got a decent nights sleep.

Onlyaphase Thu 13-Oct-11 21:51:33

Agree with Iggly that the mattress will be far too thin and will cause the waking up. We had a fortnight of this once, till we twigged and bought an extra mattress, and then DD slept through fine.

Either get an extra mattress or pad it really well with duvets etc.

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Oct-11 21:55:51

It was the awful squeaking of travel cots that woke all 4 of mine when they were babies - and the noise woke us too.
And we have had the dubious pleasure of trying out many different ones: own, borrowed ones from friends, and ones provided by whereever we were staying.

bluesmile10 Fri 14-Oct-11 12:46:04

Should have said, we did buy a while ago a 7 cm thick mattress for it, makes no difference!! Think we could be giving the co sleeping a go just so we get sleep!!

mousyfledermaus Fri 14-Oct-11 12:59:53

when we visit family the dc either sleep on a foam block guest bed or on a duvet folded double on the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now