Talk

Advanced search

10mo 'whinging himself to sleep' for naps

(6 Posts)
BabiesNeedInstructions Thu 13-Oct-11 13:12:30

My 10mo ds is a good sleeper (hasn't always been, so touch wood I haven't jinxed it by typing that!) - he has 30 mins around 9am and anything from 1-2 hours around 12:30, then sleeps 7ish - 6:30ish at night. He drops off fine at night but recently he's started to spend up to half an hour whinging in his cot before daytime naps. He's not crying and when I go to check on him it wakes him up so I have to say I tend to leave him to it.

He's often lying down with his eyes shut while he does it, so I'm guessing it's some kind of de-stressing thing to help him drop off, but I don't like the fact that he's spending so much time each day unhappy. Anyone else got experience of this?

ClevelandAnnie Thu 13-Oct-11 13:19:33

My dd used to do this, only she did it for daytime naps and nighttime sleeps. I never thought she was unhappy, just her way of sending herself off to sleep. It didn't sound like 'real' crying IYSWIM. She never seemed distressed at all.

BabiesNeedInstructions Thu 13-Oct-11 13:43:15

Thanks, that's reassuring. It's not a happy sound so I don't like listening to it, but as you say there are no tears or anything, so perhaps he's fine. When did your dd stop doing it?

heidipi Thu 13-Oct-11 20:25:08

My 11mo DD has been doing this lately too - mainly for her afternoon nap. I've never really left her to cry before but she seems to get more worked up if I stay in there, and I disturb her if I go in when she's been grizzling for a while. Yesterday afternoon it took 20 mins for her to drop off, which seemed like ages, but then she slept for the usual time, so it's not like she's not tired or anything. I turned the volume off on the monitor in the end!

Angel786 Thu 13-Oct-11 23:42:14

Yep me too. DD (11mths) does this almost every time she sleeps. Sometimes she grizzles but this is more like a monotone hum "Mmmmm" type sound while she chews on her blankie with eyes shut.

ClevelandAnnie Fri 14-Oct-11 09:49:01

Sorry I have been offline for a while. She stopped doing it at about 18 months. She was and is still a good sleeper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now