Talk

Advanced search

Long naps at 19months

(9 Posts)
ScaredBear Sat 08-Oct-11 19:14:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sproutpudding Sat 08-Oct-11 19:20:15

My DD is the same age as yours and also naps for one and a half to two hours a day, but all in one nap rather than two. I have a friend with a DS a little older and he does the same. So I don't think it's abnormal; in fact, from what I have read I was under the impression that it was normal.

I'd be inclined to ignore the HV and continue with what works for you and your DD.

musttidyupmusttidyup Sat 08-Oct-11 19:22:33

Sounds fine. Let her sleep. DS (2.10) only stopped day sleeping in last few weeks (often still does) and was sleeping 7-6 and 2 hrs in middle of the day. Make the most of it!

ScaredBear Sat 08-Oct-11 19:53:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

musttidyupmusttidyup Sat 08-Oct-11 20:23:11

Just move tea a bit earlier? Used to feed mine at 4-430 at that age so time to digest and make room for night-time milk.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 08-Oct-11 20:30:36

2hrs sleep during the day sounds normal for an 18m old to me. DS went through a blissful period where he would sleep for 3hrs during the day and still sleep at night...

My DD is now 2.9 and starting to drop her nap. On days when she doesn't nap I try and give her tea much earlier and get her to bed quickly, otherwise it's meltdown central.

ASuitableGirl Sat 08-Oct-11 20:32:16

Sounds normal to me. DS used to sometimes sleep about 3 hours and occasionally 4 in the daytime at that age (was pg at the time so was nice smile) and he also slept at night.

sarahtigh Sat 08-Oct-11 22:42:54

let her sleep why cut her naps my DD is 22 months and usually sleeps 7.30pm to 7.30 or even 8am, then sleeps from 2-4pm.( she would sleep to 5 if I let her but then she is still up at 8.30-9pm so that is not on because of her mother's sanity), she is lively runs about a lot but sleeps loads and she would sleep longer in afternoon some children nap until at least 3 obviously DD rountine would not fit in with nursery but it does fit in with our work rountine breakfast about 8 or 8.30 snack 11 lunch at 1pm then nap snack at 4pm then tea with us about 6 then milk at 7.30

she needs the sleep so let her have it, the only time i would wake an older child was if she stopped sleeping at night because was not tired, a tired child will not eat, your DD is normal but HV is not... why does she need to cut down naps if she is sleeping 12 hours at night would be understandable if she was not tired until 8.30 or 9pm but she is not

some people like me and DD and your DD need our sleep, DH can easily stay awake until 2-3am but he is not a morning person, |I encourage afternoon naps as i can do things which would be difficult with DD "helping" saves having to do them after 8pm when i'm too knackered to be bothered anyhow, i am dreading her stopping the afternoon nap

ClaireDB Sat 08-Oct-11 22:51:36

Sounds normal to me, same here really. I have a sleepy 22mo. She still has 1-2 naps a day, up to 3 hours but normally 2ish hours. Then sleeps 7-7. Some are just sleepier than others. It does make going out a bit of a logistics nightmare but sleep is important so we try and work around it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now