Talk

Advanced search

4 month sleep regression, does it ever end?

(10 Posts)
Aloha31 Fri 07-Oct-11 09:15:34

DD is 17 weeks and started sleeping badly (after a GREAT start) about 5 weeks ago. At first I think it was teething and a growth spurt - she woke almost every hour from waking just once or twice between 7-7 since being tiny. Then we got to twice through the night again - just one feed and one stir, now back to awful nights. She has never (since first couple of weeks) feed fed to sleep, rocked to sleep, walked, dummy etc. She self settles each night but wakes from around midnight onwards every 90 min - 2 hours. Feeding extra makes no difference, and sometimes she wakes at 5 ready for the day - something she never did! Also, she is not hungry for her morning feed at 7ish after taking one feed through the night. I don't have much leave left and want to spend some of it with her in a more awake state!

PessimisticMissPiggy Fri 07-Oct-11 09:23:13

Snap. I feel for you. I'm lucky that DD likes a long morning nap so we lie down together (as I type) and get some rest that way.

I'm hoping that once she's in her own room things will improve. Her room will be ready in a week or two, it needs a new radiator.

Sorry I don't have any advice, I just wanted to express solidarity.

Aloha31 Fri 07-Oct-11 09:28:32

Am thinking of putting her in her own room, but then think if she wakes so much still it's extra work for me iykwim!

Thank you for the solidarity. I'm just functioning all day and just want to really be with my baby and enjoy the days!

Starshaped Fri 07-Oct-11 11:33:01

I bloody hope it ends! DD's sleep went haywire at 15 weeks, briefly improved around 19 weeks and now is worse than ever at 22 weeks. It's killing me!

You're one step ahead of us though- at least you've had some self settling action in the past. That's just a distant dream in this house!

We have good nights and bad nights though, so I know she can sleep well sometimes. I've heard people say they noticed a real improvement around 7 months...

It must get better at some point though, it really must!

twins2004 Fri 07-Oct-11 11:59:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aloha31 Fri 07-Oct-11 14:03:50

The Wonder Weeks book and site does explain the development they're going through well, and there is hope...seems they will come out of the phase eventually. Each evening I keep hoping this will be the night! We've had lovely nights where she slept from 7 til 3.30 (never did dreamfeed, didn't work for her), I loved snuggling her in and feeding (she is BF) and I felt great the next day! Distant memory!

Twins, DD has been in her cot a few nights now, and has stopped knocking her arms against the crib. Worth a try!!

Hope we all get some sleep soon! Not sure I can wait til the 7 month mark...! I'll happily do one feed though the night for months, esp as I've seen how happy/rested me and DD are after this scenario. But as it is at the moment...sad

JugsMcGee Fri 07-Oct-11 14:35:45

I feel for you, those days were hell. DS's sleep regression went from 14-26 weeks ish (which included some waking when he learnt to roll and kept practising!) Although after that there was waking when we started solids, waking when he learnt to roll, teething...

I honestly don't believe there is anything you can do, it's largely developmental, which makes it so frustrating! Hope things are better soon for you smile

fififrog Fri 07-Oct-11 18:59:27

We started sleep training at 23.5 weeks as DD had never self-settled in the evening but sometimes did over night. This was at the end of about 5 weeks of hell where the wakings just got more and more frequent and she seemed harder and harder to settle. Coincidentally the day we started she learned to roll from tummy to back which she'd been trying to do for 8 weeks having mastered it the other way. The new regime involved sitting by her with little interaction if she woke in the night as well as at bedtime. Things rapidly improved and now (28 wks) we're down to one waking a night for a feed at about 3am which is the best it's ever been (though she has a cold at the mo so it's all out the window). It has been much better for the last 4 weeks though.

Hope your DCs all sort themselves out soon. I second that it's mostly developmental (for DD the rolling was a big issue) but the sleep training I think improved her and our confidence in her ability to self-settle.

Aloha31 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:17:34

Good to hear of some success, thank you FiFi. DD rolled for the first time about a week ago and did it again twice today, so it seems she is going through a lot!

I like the sound of what you did, I couldn't leave DD cry by herself, but usually put my hand on her tummy and sshhh her, little interaction too. It worked well before we hit this rough patch 5 weeks ago, and I still try it but she's getting harder to settle, although is only fed once through the night (tried feeding her extra last night - no effect, so an def confident it is not hunger). Hope your DD feeling better soon.

Aloha31 Thu 13-Oct-11 11:12:51

Help! I now have flu, possibly due to not sleeping!

I feel my options now are:
DD in own room
Night wean breastfeeding
Anything else I can try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now