Talk

Advanced search

Why are babies advised to stay in with parents for 6 months?

(9 Posts)
csc Thu 06-Oct-11 20:14:06

I've read a couple of times that babies are meant to to have a reduced incidence of SIDS if they sleep in their parents room until 6 months but can't find any more info. Does anyone know why? Is it because you hear them more easily? Does sharing with a sibling have any effect on this?

Any info gratefully received. DD is 3 months old, outgrowing her moses basket and I don't know how we'll fit cotbed in our room.

ta, csc

haloflo Thu 06-Oct-11 21:26:01

I thought it was to do with their breathing as young babies can have sleep apnea but no idea where I read this information. However as SIDS is unexplained there may be no actual reason, only evidence that it is safer. I noticed that the FSID has a phone number. Maybe they could advise you whether sharing with a sibling would mean a reduced risk too?

JeelyPiece Thu 06-Oct-11 21:37:32

I believe they don't know why, but there is an increased association between SIDS and babies under six months sleeping away from parents/carers, even during the day.

One possible reason is that babies hear their parents' breathing and this helps regulate their own, reducing the chances of their breathing stopping in their sleep. Not sure about the sibling thing.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 06-Oct-11 21:42:41

I thought it was to do with the mum and dad helping to regulate the baby breath. Also, I personally slept a lot better when my baby was near me anyway.

Moulesfrites Thu 06-Oct-11 21:46:20

I think its so that they can hear your breathing which helps to regulate their own. And perhaps also that a little bit of background noise stops them from falling into too deep a sleep and stop breathing??

I know that I checked that my ds was still alive approx every 20 mins during the first few months of his life, so that would have been a bit of a pain if he was in a different room grin.

I had the same problem as you re the moses basket, so we got a travel cot for our room then he went into his own room and proper cot at 6m.

zimm Fri 07-Oct-11 19:36:43

One theory is the carbon dioxide exhaled by parents reminds baby to breath somehow...also hearing their breath and not falling into too deep a sleep. Travel cot is an excellent solution to your problem.

LynetteScavo Fri 07-Oct-11 19:38:41

I love the idea of advising babies to do anything. wink

csc Sun 16-Oct-11 20:01:36

Thanks all, love the travel cot idea.

organiccarrotcake Sun 16-Oct-11 21:01:52

Or forget the cot and just bed share smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now