Talk

Advanced search

10 week old nap - is this normal?

(4 Posts)
Jane7 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:08:56

10 week old ds2 usually has four naps during the day each on average 45 mins long, but some as short as half an hour (the first one). This seems very little to me - I'm sure I remember ds1 sleeping for hours at this early stage. He sleeps ok at night, down at 8ish and then wakes about 1am ish and then again at 5 ish for feeds.
He's not too grumpy inbetween naps, but I still feel he should be sleeping more during the day and yet his little peepers flick open so easily when he's napping. Wil this improve?

JugsMcGee Sat 01-Oct-11 15:58:15

I would say if he is happy enough in between naps then he is fine. My DS was having 4 naps a day at 10 weeks too, probably about an hour in length? His nap times did increase as he got older but he's always slept a lot in the day as he can't manage too long between naps.

It sounds like your DS is waking after one sleep cycle. Have you tried resettling him when he wakes? Where does he nap? Do you pop him down for a nap at the first sign of tiredness? If DS gets overtired he wakes after 30 minutes. If we pop him down when he's starting to show tired signs he'll sleep for longer/resettle easily if he wakes early.

Nunners Sat 01-Oct-11 16:18:19

OP you have just described my 11 week old, right down to the times he wakes in the night for feeds! I too was worrying for a while that he wasn't sleeping enough during the day (having totally missed his tiredness cues when he was still very tiny due to hormonal rubbishness and this being my first baby), so I have had to train him to nap, in a way. Some days he can do just as you describe, only 30-45 mins, an hour maximum, and then in the last week he has been having 2-3 hours naps in the middle of the day. I was over the moon, but today he seems to be out of kilter again. Hey ho...

If your DS doesn't resettle after short naps (my DS is often bright-eyed and beaming happy after just 30 minutes), and he is happy the rest of the time, then I wouldn't worry too much - though the resettling after naps when they are still tired is something I find difficult as DS really does wake up quite fully even though he is still cranky - any tips anyone?

JugsMcGee Sat 01-Oct-11 16:22:01

Nunners mine was the same, it was a bit of a nightmare as he'd wake up completely and then proceed to scream the house down. Swaddling + cot worked for us, but I appreciate it won't for everyone.

Oh and also, I had no idea about tired signs etc as DS would just fall asleep in the early days. It wasn't until he 'woke up' after the 6 week growth spurt that I found out about them (and after spending 4 weeks battling with him to sleep. And failing. A lot.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now