Talk

Advanced search

Cot bumper

(8 Posts)
Cbell Thu 29-Sep-11 19:07:26

I know this may seem a strange thing to seek advice on but are we meant to have a cot bumper?

I have so far just dismissed them as yet another 'product' being pimped unnecessarily. I was also under the impression that you were not meant to have any tie cords in a cot.

However, my DD is getting increasingly mobile and bumping her head. Are cot bumpers a piece of equipment that we have over looked?

StoneBaby Thu 29-Sep-11 19:55:26

I used a cot bumper not really because of head bumping but to keep DS's arms in the cot and not going through the bars and hurting himself. I took it off when he turned 16 months as I feared he'll use it to climb out grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 19:55:44

I've always thought the same, especially as they should be removed once the baby can start pulling itself up.

Will wait and see the replies with interest.

bankholiday Thu 29-Sep-11 20:41:54

We have the airwrap, which is apparently safer than a bumper. I can't do links, but you can google it. DS bumps his head anyway, but not as much as before (he loves being on his tummy and lifting his head high to see what's going on around him).

Mimmee Thu 29-Sep-11 21:05:02

Second the airwrap idea. We have just got one and it's great.

Apparently the strings on traditional bumpers can be a safety issue and older babies can use them to climb up.

The airwrap is breathable as well so doesn't matter if babies face is right up against it.

It has really helped us - no more having to rescue trapped arms and legs!

www.tllc.com.au/airwrap/

pipoca Thu 29-Sep-11 21:29:56

Just got the safe cot bumper air wrap thingy off amazon and can also sing its praises. DD was getting her little fat legs struck between the bars.

mama2alex Fri 30-Sep-11 13:08:46

I've got this one www.safedreams.co.uk, its the same as the airwrap but a bit softer and less clinical looking as its cotton. They are great. Think they are on Amazon too, its called cot wrap.

InmaculadaConcepcion Fri 30-Sep-11 21:26:58

I've always used one from IKEA - the tie cords are pretty short and I keep the bumper low so it really just serves to cushion the lowest edges of the cot so DD doesn't bump her head on them. It doesn't stop arms and legs from hanging out the sides occasionally, but DD doesn't seem to have a problem with that (I have been known to do gentle extrications of limbs from cot bars while DD's asleep!!)

I will remove it once DD gets to the stage of being able to use it to try and climb out. At the moment, she's too short. One of the many advantages of having a low centile LO!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now