Talk

Advanced search

4 year old waking distressed

(3 Posts)
BlueyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 07:13:27

DD, 4, wakes pretty much every night in a state of complete distress. She's wailing and incoherent, usually wandering around aimlessly and unable to tell us anything at all. Clearly she's aware of our presence but it doesn't seem to help as she's wandering around wailing. Sometimes she needs to be woken up properly by turning the lights on. It always seems to happen around 1.5 to 2 hours after she goes to bed - not usually any later. I'd put it down to school starting, but this has been going on for months (it is worse at the moment though).
Any thoughts as to how we can help or suggestions as to what it might be?

HoneyPablo Thu 29-Sep-11 07:37:09

Sounds like night terrors which are really common and normally go of their own accord.
It's just their way of trying to make sense of the world, which to them has suddenly got to be a very big place. New school, new people, new routines, new food, new emotions, etc.

BlueyDragon Thu 29-Sep-11 11:57:26

Thanks Honey, I'd always assumed it was night terrors and she'd grow out of it, but it has been going on for months and it's pretty much every night. So I didn't know if that was normal night terrors and to just wait it out, or if there was something we could/ should be doing to help. Sounds like hanging on in there it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now