Talk

Advanced search

Four month sleep regression? Hunger? Teething?

(5 Posts)
redcamels Wed 28-Sep-11 13:41:45

DD is five months old. 'Usual' sleep pattern of 6pm-5am from 8 weeks up until three weeks ago which we took for granted was lovely.

He's started waking constantly through the night. He goes down at six without any faffing, but then wakes at 11pm, 1am, 2.30am, etc. Sometimes his dummy will settle him straight away, other times he'll flail around for ages and only go back to sleep after he's downed a bottle. He doesn't really make a noise though; it's not like he's waking up crying confused

He has cut two bottom teeth. He's formula fed and we haven't started weaning him yet. He sleeps for around 3 hours during the day, more if we're out and about.

As title suggests I'm baffled as to whether this is the four month regression, more teething, a growth/developmental spurt or a sign that he's hungry (although I'm extremely dubious that solids will solve this issue). I'm guessing it's a delightful combination of the above.

I'm going to try a dreamfeed tonight and see if it makes a blind bit of difference.

Anyone been through the same or able to offer words of wisdom? <bangs head against wall>

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 20:14:13

Hope you've stopped banging your head now red, its really not good for you smile.

How did last night go? Did the dreamfeed work at all?

It could be hunger, but if it is I'd be cautious about weaning. There is very little that you can give him that will be as calorific as his milk and some foods may actually make his sleep worse, not better. Here's the NHS info.

It is also just before a big developmental stage which could affect his sleep.

It could also be teething. Have you tried the Dentinox gel or Calpol?

And it could also be the 4 month sleep regression. If it is, is he taking all of his feeds during the day or is he too distractable?

it can be really hard to work out but one thing is for sure, he won't be 5 months forever smile

redcamels Thu 29-Sep-11 20:38:17

I have a large bruise grin

Dreamfeed resulted in a large poo but a peaceful night. Only two stirrings and he dropped off again as soon ad I replugged him.

He is very easily distracted during his day feeds; is this a regression symptom?

I am extremely reluctant to wean him...although he tried porridge for breakfast this morning and it went down his front a treat.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 30-Sep-11 11:01:13

If he is distractable I'd concentrate on making sure he gets enough milk during the day, though I know that can be easier said than done.

A dreamfeed, poo and two stirrings isn't too bad for a 5 month old though is it?

redcamels Fri 30-Sep-11 16:06:45

No it's not bad at all, just very unlike him.

I think the new wakings are a delightful combo of teething, hunger & development wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now