Talk

Advanced search

Tips for getting a baby (9month) to sleep through night, please, thankyou!

(3 Posts)
pinkposey Tue 27-Sep-11 10:58:31

Hiya all, My son used to wake once in the night for a feed. Now he's up at regular intervals. I have no idea how he does it, I'm shattered!! Our routine is tea, bed and bath, and he's normally in bed sleeping at approximately 7pm. For tea, I feed him until he really doesn't seem like he wants more. He goes to sleep like a dream and seems really tired before he does, rubbing his head and seeming like he's exhausted. He sleeps soundly until 11pm and then wakes, then this past week, he's been waking up at 12.30, 1:30, 3, 4:30 then up for good at 5. He's been like this for hte past week, but I guess the situation has been worsening over the past month or so. I feed formula milk, and he seems to take the bottle when he wakes, so I have been assuming that he needs it, so I have kept giving it to him, thinking that its a 'phrase' and that he'll grow out of it, however it seems to be getting worse, and I can barely think anymore! Any tips would be totally gratefully received. He seems happy and healthy in every other way, and doesn't seem starving, I feed him three full meals per day, with dinner and fruit / dessert for each and he always seems quite satisfied at the time. Thank you for any advice you can offer!! PS He normally has a nap in the morning and one in the early afternoon, but only half an hour max each, I don't think he's napping excessively.

addictedtofrazzles Tue 27-Sep-11 20:38:52

I don't think your DS is sleeping enough - at this age, my boys had 30 mins in the morning (between 8 and 9 am) and then 2 hours at lunch (12.30-2.30pm).

My initial reaction is what and how much is he eating? Is he having enough protein and enough carbs?

The milk in the night is definitely a habit and it sounds like it is a) comfort and/or b) he is making up calories he is missing in the day.

I think he may need some tough love - I know a lot of people here disagree but in your shoes, I would go cold turkey, offer water and then let him cry a bit i.e. Controlled Crying. You could probably get it fixed in 2 nights but you will have to stand firm.

DilysPrice Tue 27-Sep-11 20:47:31

I think if he's able to go to sleep on his own in the cot at bedtime then CC probably isn't required, but he may have got into the habit of waking for food following a temporary upset. I'd try offering water and cuddles for nighttime wakings, and try and get him to sleep longer in the day - 2 half hours is a lot shorter than normal.
If he gets out of the habit of nighttime hunger then it's entirely possible he'll spontaneously sleep though again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now