Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh, for the love of Pete!

(6 Posts)
ChrissasMissis Sun 25-Sep-11 07:27:54

I am convinced my 4 month DS is trying to give me a nervous breakdown. After early feeding problems, then sleep settling problems, then silent reflux problems, two episodes of apnoea and a spell in the local hospital, he has decided to start rolling onto his tummy in the night. Unfortunately, he has not yet figured out how to roll back again. He gets himself stuck and then wakes himself up and starts to cry. After the episodes of apnoea, I am very, very worried about ensuring he is well positioned and safe. Does anyone have any experience or advice? All guidance greatly appreciated!

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 25-Sep-11 07:32:40

Can you get one of those buffer things that you lie them between that prevents rolling? Sorry am on phone so can't link but I've definitely seen them.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 25-Sep-11 07:50:14

Think I remember advice of a couple if rolled up towels either side as well.

fififrog Sun 25-Sep-11 09:16:47

Poor you! I don't have a solution for you I'm afraid, and in the context this isn't really a positive message... I just wanted to warn you that this could potentially go on for a while. We had this for about two months til she figured it out (weirdly she rolled tummy to back quite a few times when very little but forgot how). I really feel for you! Despite ostensibly wanting rolled onto her back, DD would just flip straight back again very often which was hugely frustrating. Luckily for me we weren't worried about her sleeping on her tummy, I can imagine it's awful for you.

just in case yours isn't in a sleeping bag and someone suggests this may help, I can assure you that rolling is perfectly possible in a bag. People suggested all sorts Inc pinning her bag to the mattress but in our case as we hadn't had problems like yours and she'd always had a strong neck I took the line that she'd only learn how to roll if on her tummy... I assumed it'd take a couple of weeks not months!!

In terms of getting DS to learn to roll back, I found giving DD plenty of nappy-free time helpe as she was more inclined to wriggle around nude, when she was old enough to reach for things (just over 5months for us), I started playing games on the bed dangling muslins over her shoulder, and after that she got it quickly. Also don't know if this is relevant but she had a few weeks where she'd given up even trying and coincidentally I took her to a chiropractor as we were having some issues breastfeeding. It turnednout the range of movement in her neck and one shoulder were limited, and after chiropractic treatment she happened to learn to roll about 2 days later.

Best of luck!

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 25-Sep-11 09:17:06

This is it:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Safe-Anti-Roll-Pillow-Tool-Baby-Sleep-Positioner-/250842518551?pt=UK_Baby_NurseryBedding_RL&hash=item3a67611417

There are loads like it on ebay. Hope that helps.

ChrissasMissis Sun 25-Sep-11 12:44:06

Thanks JambalayaCodfishPie - I shall give that some consideration. I very nearly put velcro on the back of his sleeping bag....

LoveBeingAMummyAgain - I shall try that out at his next nap. I assume you mean under the sheet?

fififrog - I think once I know he can turn himself over again, I will worry less about him sleeping on his tum. I took your advice and tried some naked time, which he seemed to love (future naturist?). The only downside was that he wee'd on his own face in record time!! On the up side, I have now found a good use for the left-over maternity mats from when I was pregnant!

Many Thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now