Talk

Advanced search

Need help to get my toddler to go back to sleep

(4 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Sun 25-Sep-11 07:20:07

Have posted in AIBU which was a mistake but the last 4 mornings at 445, have cracked and given Medised to my 2 year old, she has been under the weather but has been waking even earlier than normal (she has always been a poor sleeper night waking and early waking) and nothing will get her back to sleep, tried milk, coming in our bed, leaving her to cry.

Trouble is she shares a room with her older sister who has just started school and is shattered and when DD2 starts shouting at 5am she wakes her up (we get away with most of the other shenanigans)

I don't really know what to do to solve this....do I move DD1 in with us and just leave DD2 to yell...my post in AIBU now has me in tears.

InmaculadaConcepcion Sun 25-Sep-11 19:22:53

I'm so sorry some of the comments in AIBU have left you in tears - it is a section where people can be exceedingly harsh in their judgements, not what you need when you're sleep-deprived and feeling desperate.

I recently read an article by a night nanny who talked of sleep-training another early riser. She used rapid return CC - when the child is only left for a couple of minutes each time before you go back in to resettle. A threshold was set for the earliest acceptable time for the toddler to be allowed to get up and the rapid return CC was used up to that time. It worked in that case after a few days.

It's hard when you're worried about your other daughter being disturbed too. Perhaps you could temporarily move your eldest into your room while you try some sleep training on the youngest...??

A couple of thoughts, anyway. Good luck.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 26-Sep-11 13:13:59

Thank you IC, that is definitely a more suitable approach for my DD2 as she doesn't respond well to being left. There ended up being some useful advice on my AIBU thread, but mumsnetHQ kindly moved it to sleep.

Have a number of things to try, last night my DD1 ended up in our room so we could leave the little one to make noise and go back to sleep which she did eventually may need to keep her there a little longer.

InmaculadaConcepcion Mon 26-Sep-11 18:41:43

You're welcome and I hope the sleep settles down soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now