Talk

Advanced search

3YO getting out of bed 20 times a night.

(5 Posts)
BorstalBait Sat 24-Sep-11 09:30:11

What did you do?
Our 3YO has started crying then coming into our room up to 20 times a night claiming he hasn't has a kiss/cuddle and doesn't have enough light.

We make a big song and dance at bedtime about kisses and cuddles and he acknowledges that he's had them and he has a night light and plenty of light from the hallway, possibly too much.

I take him back to bed over and over again with no interaction but generally I can sense he's had enough after a while then he gets a kiss and sometimes that's it for a few hours at least. DH veers between gets very shouty and over reasoning so I think gives him too much attention.

We have a general reward chart with smiles for good and sad for bad with stars and treats which he is very keen on. He has a clock so stays in bed until 7am. He's dropping his naps so we know he is very tired and seems in reasonably good form considering the night he's had, unlike us

So what do we do? Carry on the taking back to bed, do immediate reward for a full night's sleep (it does happen too), lock him in, put him back in a cot?

Thanks

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sat 24-Sep-11 18:21:41

Stairgate on the bedroom door?

ladyintheradiator Sat 24-Sep-11 18:29:56

We've had this with our DS, he is nearly 4 (next month). It lasted a few months on and off - weeks of no waking in between but I am hoping it's over now. I favoured a gentle approach as anything else caused more of a problem than it solved but a sticker chart did help, we did a few bigger rewards initially (for getting a full chart of 7 stickers) and now we borrow a new DVD from the library each week that he does well.

I don't know if there is a best way of dealing with it, my DS would have screamed the house down if I shut him in his room, but a friend did this successfully, different DC react to different things I suppose, but I do sympathise, it's tough, but I think it's probably a phase, anything new going on to unsettle him maybe?

HarriedWithChildren Sat 24-Sep-11 18:30:09

Ouh good idea. Trying the cot threat tonight and will see how we get on. Trouble with stairgate is that he will stand there wailing like a banshee for hours on end and risk waking other DCs. Still, worth thinking about.

HarriedWithChildren Sat 24-Sep-11 18:34:27

Nothing out of the ordinary LitR. He has started nursery school but this waking predates that + he had a spell of waking like this earlier this summer. Sounds very much like your DS. It's hard to find cheap non sweet rewards I find. Maybe a trip to the Poundshop trw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now