Talk

Advanced search

would you look at my routine?

(4 Posts)
yumcha888 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:38:59

I don't know whether to post this on the sleep or the weaning thread but I figured the sleep people would be more desperate and would have more opinions!

Would you mind look at my routine for my 6.5mo DS? He's started to wake 3 / 4 times during the night and I can't figure out why. The last time he did this I fed him hungry milk each time and he just put a ton of weight (looked like Cartman out of South Park) before we realised he was just itchy (he has eczema) and the hungry milk was just driving a bad habit. Since then he's STTN for a couple of weeks and his weight is back to normal but now he's up all night again and I want a second opinion before I start feeding him again.

So, the routine is (all times are 'ish'):

7am wake, full breast feed, 2 cubes of fruit + baby rice
8.30am nap (45 mins - 1.5 hours)
11am lunch - BF, 4 cubes of carbs, 3 cubes of veggie / fruit mixed with baby rice, water from a cup
11.30am nap (1 - 2 hours)
2pm BF
3.30pm nap (45 mins - 1.5 hours)
6pm dinner - same as lunch (BF, 4 cubes of carbs, 3 cubes of veggie / fruit mixed with baby rice, water from a cup)
7pm sleep
10pm BF
and now BF at 11.30pm, 2am, 4am, 5am....

I'm thinking my milk supply is going down so perhaps I should give milk during the night?

Any ideas?

MogandMe Thu 22-Sep-11 10:51:24

As a nanny I do

7am wake,
7.30 7oz bottle plus porridge
9am nap (1 hour)
10am get baby up - wake if nescessary
11.30am lunch - 4 cubes of carbs, 3 cubes of veggie / fruit mixed with baby rice, water from a cup, milk
12 nap (1 - 2 hours)
2.30pm 7 oz bottle
5pm dinner - same as lunch (4 cubes of carbs, 3 cubes of veggie / fruit mixed with baby rice, water from a cup)
6pm bath
7pm sleep

I would get rid of the late afternoon sleep and if he does have one only give him 15minute cat nap. Is he actually hungry when he wakes in the night or is he programmed as you do it so he wakes each night? How long do you leave him when he wakes - is he just stirring or actually awake and hungry?

bigkidsdidit Thu 22-Sep-11 12:53:48

Yes at this age my DS (now 8 mo) started to drop his late afternoon nap and go down to 2. His now are 9-11ish and 1.20-3 ish. Being awake 3-7 is a long time for him but it's calm time and we have a bit of Chuggingtons and a nice bath etc so he gets through.

So if I were you I'd push both naps back a wee bit and try to keep him from sleeping after 4pm at all.

yumcha888 Thu 22-Sep-11 13:36:12

Oh, I didn't think of that, yes, it could be that he's ready to drop a nap. In fact, I've noticed that if we are out in the afternoon, he doesn't sleep but doesn't get grumpy either.

Mogandme thanks for posting your routine - we don't look too far off each other. I thought he wasn't hungry so at first I ignored him (for up to 20 minutes) and then I patted him to sleep. He would sleep but then zing awake 10 minutes later. He does self soothe and is fab at putting himself to sleep usually but during the night he doesn't seem to want to. I have no clue as to whether or not he is really hungry but I'm reluctant to give him a bottle as last time it just created a bad habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now