Talk

Advanced search

Is this cruel?

(7 Posts)
megcleary Thu 22-Sep-11 09:44:24

DD2 is 7 mo wakes twice anight and will only settle with a bottle. What seems to happen is she wiggles her way to the top of the cot, bumps and wakes up.

No shhing, patting etc will settle her and DD1 is 4 and has just started school last week is knackered and we don't want her more disturbed by a screaming baby.

Last night put DD 2 to bed and tucked the end of her grobag under the mattress so she could not head up the cot. She only woke once and that was midnight not 10 and then she slept till six.

I think one waking for food is manageable ( this girl has slept through twice in 7 months).

BUT are we damaging her development or being cruel by tucking in the grobag and stopping her wandering and waking?

Secondtimelucky Thu 22-Sep-11 09:58:03

I don't think it's cruel. Presumably she can still move her legs about within the grobag, just not fully shuffle. It's a bit like some babies still liking a leg swaddle until they are quite old.

She'll soon let you know with massive screams of frustration if she doesn't like it - at least she will if she's anything like my two!

cera1980 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:01:30

I'd say she's fine as long as the grobag isn't tucked in so tightly that she can't move her feet freely, I'm thinking about when you stay in hotels etc and the bedding is tucked in so tightly that you can't point your feet up comfortably!!

yumcha888 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:41:23

I this is genius!! We have the same issue and I'm doing it tonight!

(no, I don't think this is cruel btw!)

megcleary Thu 22-Sep-11 10:46:10

She can still kick just not strong enough to escape, she protest at sleeping anyway it doesn't seem worse.

narmada Thu 22-Sep-11 13:23:56

I don;t think the grobag thing's a problem but I would def keep giving the night feed(s). Lots of babies still need them at this age.

jjazz Thu 22-Sep-11 21:31:06

not cruel- you are enabling her to sleep more soundly. I stopped the night feeds at 7 mts in my big strapping DS- he was a good eater once on solids and he forgot about waking for BFs after about a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now