Talk

Advanced search

4months too young for own room??

(16 Posts)
ScaryFairy28 Wed 21-Sep-11 07:20:23

DD is getting to wide for swinging crib she's getting her arms stuck in the bars and it's disturbing her plus my ohs alarm wakes her at 530 if she's doesn't get woken by this she sleeps till 8. I've bought a good baby monitor. Should I just go for it?

mumblechum1 Wed 21-Sep-11 07:30:19

Yes.

We never had ours in the same room, far too noisy.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 21-Sep-11 07:33:13

I must confess I wouldn't. I know the chances are that it will be completely fine, but if I'd breached SIDS guidelines (same room until 6 months) and something happened, I know I would never, ever be able to forgive myself. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

nello Wed 21-Sep-11 07:34:11

yes. 4 months is ok. i've just moved my dd out at 6 months, but my friend moved her ds out at 10 weeks also due to her partner's job times. I have a single bed also in the baby room and spent the first few nights in with her just to ease the transition.

ScaryFairy28 Wed 21-Sep-11 07:37:09

I don't even think she'll notice! She usually sleeps between 10 and 12 hours if I was still up during the night with her I wouldn't be considering it. She sometimes has day time naps in her cot.

Petesmum Wed 21-Sep-11 07:40:28

My DS went into his own room at 4 days old. He certainly had a good enough set of lungs to shout for us & we had a good monitor.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 21-Sep-11 07:49:15

It's not about you hearing them if they cry, though - it's about your breathing regulating theirs and reducing the chances of SIDS.

mumblechum1 Wed 21-Sep-11 07:56:19

How the hell does your breathing regulate theirs? What scientific data proves that?

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 21-Sep-11 08:11:14

Mumble - I have to go to work so no time to find link but there really is scientific data to support that. Will try to find it later if I remember. A lot of research has been done into this (some by people I know well!).

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 21-Sep-11 08:12:07

Google it mumblechum1. There is lots of data about it.

There will be a zillion MN who come on this thread and tell you that their baby went into their own room at 4 hrs old etc etc.

I prefer to follow guidelines and not take risks. A "good monitor" isn't going to go off if they're dead is it?Because they're not going to be crying. (the angelcare ones, otoh, go off all the time apparently)

Petesmum Wed 21-Sep-11 08:13:11

My breathing didn't seem to regulate my DS's but his breathing pattern changes ( going v quiet, then back to normal, then quiet again) certainly took years off my life and meant I spent half the night holding my breath listening to him!
I can't argue against all the SIDS research, and agree that it's v v important but I also firmly believe that everyone needs a good nights sleep ( baby & parent ) and if one way works for you & your baby then go for it

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 21-Sep-11 08:13:44

The data is to do with a baby's brain literally not being hardwired yet to the extent that breathing is automatic. More often than we probably think, a baby's heart momentarily stops, and it's the vicinity of another breathing/heartbeat that kickstarts the brain activity and "reminds" the baby that's what it's supposed to do.

iliketeawithachocolatehobnob Wed 21-Sep-11 08:35:46

It's too young according to official guidelines. However, guidelines are based on the best evidence available, not on fitting round the practicalities of every day living.

My dd was in her own room about 4 months old because she was too big for her moses basket and we couldn't fit a cot in our bedroom, or a single bed in hers next to the cot. We all slept much better when she moved to her cot as I think she was disturbed by dh's noisy sleeping.

BenRoo Wed 21-Sep-11 09:49:30

Are you wishing you'd never asked yet?

We moved our DS into his own room because he was too big for his rocking cradle/Moses basket and the cot was too big for the room.
I have to say, he woke more regularly,as did I because I was checking him when he wasn't waking.
So we 'more often than not' ended up co-sleeping together and still do occasionally...

It IS a risk,goes against guidelines etc etc but I think most of us would admit to using our discretion and parental judgement on occasion.

In my case, I worried too much....
Have you considered co-sleeping or a bed-cot??

ScaryFairy28 Wed 21-Sep-11 10:49:36

My partner is very against co sleeping thinks it's dangerous! Can't really afford a smaller cot! Argh maybe now I should have got an angelcare monitor.

iliketeawithachocolatehobnob Wed 21-Sep-11 14:12:32

Thing is - there are going to be tons of times when the "guidelines" say one thing and you end up compromising and doing slightly something different because it suits you and your own circumstances and everyone you ask will have a different opinion for you to think about.

You may as well get used to it now and decide what is best for your baby and your situation smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now