Talk

Advanced search

VERY early mornings

(3 Posts)
MrsMooky Mon 19-Sep-11 10:30:01

I've got a five week old daughter whose sleep patterns seem to be getting more and more erratic. At the moment she'll have two naps through the day of about 1.5 - 2 hours each and then at night she goes to sleep at 9pm and wakes at 1am for a feed. The problem is that she then will not go back to sleep until about 4am.. sometimes later. She'll then sleep until 8am.

What can I do?! I leave her to nap for as long as she wants but over the last week she has been much more alert and only wants these two naps. But how can I get her back to sleep at night? I give her a very calm feed, as quick a nappy change as I can manage, no eye contact etc (not that she seems very into eye contact anyway).. how can I try to implement a day and night routine rather than this 24 hour cycle she seems to be on?

All suggestions gratefully received!

haloflo Mon 19-Sep-11 14:21:09

I think all you can do about the day/night thing is keep doing what you are doing: quiet and calm at night, playful during the day. I think it can take some babies 3 months to get it.

Do you turn the light on to feed? I have a soft bulb in my hallway so I can see for night feeds/nappy changes.

Can you feed after the nappy change?

Also a baby at that age can't really be awake very long so she might need more than 2 naps. Can you try getting her to nap after she has been awake for 1 hour/1 hour 15 using whatever method you can (sling, pram, cuddle, feed, bouncy chair)?

I had a very wakeful young baby so know how you feel. Can you catch up with sleep during the day?

Snowfalls108 Mon 19-Sep-11 21:49:26

I think it takes quite a while for babies to get the hang of this. Keep going with what you're doing. Once you LO is a bit older I'd suggest doing a more formal bedtime routine - eg feed, bathtime, special clothes, feed, bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now