Talk

Advanced search

how can I get my 6mo to sleep in his pushchair?

(9 Posts)
yumcha888 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:35:32

Hi all,

My 6mo is a fairly good sleeper but doesn't sleep in his pushchair. When I have to go out during a nap time (rarely, as I'm a bit paranoid about messing with his sleep) he gets a dazed expression, which can last for a couple of hours. This ends in either a screaming fit or falling asleep as soon I plop him in his cot when we get home. He has only fallen asleep a handful of times in his pushchair and all after a lot of screaming. I think this is partly because he sleeps on his belly and can't do that in a pushchair.

Does anyone have any tips to get him to sleep when we are out and about? I'm only asking because we are going on holiday on Friday and I think we will be forced out of the house at awkward (for the baby) times.

Thanks!

notsofastmrbond Sun 18-Sep-11 21:36:47

snoozeshade did the trick for my recalcitrant little bugger.

Timeoutofmind Sun 18-Sep-11 21:55:15

My DD has never been a good pushchair sleeper, always preferring her cot - she also tummy sleeps.

We went on holiday recently (she was 7mo) so was forced to put her in the pushchair. Surprisingly she slept much better than we thought. We also had something similar to a snooze shade. We had to push her around a bit to get her to sleep but think she was so tired from the break from routine, and also she couldn't see what was going on so just went to sleep after a bit of fighting it!!

yumcha888 Tue 20-Sep-11 07:36:39

Thanks guys.

So, yesterday I walked around London for over 4 hours with a snoozeshade type device on and no luck. By the end he had his eyes closed but was screaming fitfully and looked super unhappy. When I picked him up he looked so happy, I felt awful sad(((

I don't think I have the heart to try it again....what do you think? Is this actually a useful skill for him to learn or am I basically torturing him for no reason? (not that this has anythng to do with it, but it was amazing to be out of the house for more than an hour - I feel really invigorated by it)

pleasethanks Tue 20-Sep-11 07:49:24

Mine DD never mastered sleeping well in pushchair. She would manage 30 mins at most and if I stopped moving for more than a second she would wake. I gave up.

LittleMilla Tue 20-Sep-11 15:18:26

yumcha my LO is also a tummy sleeper, which makes buggy naps blumming hard. He DOES fall asleep, but like pleasethanks, he'll usually only sleep for 30 mins. Saying that, he very rarely sleeps anywhere for longer than 40 mins.

Anyway, I digress. I've had a couple of times where he's fallen asleep when feeding. So i've put him down on his tummy in the buggy (it lies flat) and just let him sleep. Admitedly, I didn't move the buggy, but it meant that he stayed asleep. And I stayed out.

He's almost 5 months BTW.

yumcha888 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:18:27

LittleMilla I've been wondering about that - putting him on his tum in the buggy. Ours is a Maclaren (I wish I'd bought a Bugaboo - my stingyness is coming back to bite me) so it lies almost, but not quite, flat. It wouldn't be great for his back but if it's just now and then, it might be ok.

I'm more worried about getting told off by strangers than anything else. I'm chinese so look really young for my age (I'm 32) so I tend to get everything from 'Get a job before having a kid!' (I have a job) to 'Why did you decide to have kids so young?' to 'Just because you are a single mum doesn't mean we have to support you' (I'm married). I can't imagine what people would say if they see me putting the baby on his tummy in his pushchair!!

He managed a 38 minute nap yesterday (after we walked around for 3 hours). I was so happy I almost hugged the man in the coffeeshop we were in smile

SlinkyB Thu 22-Sep-11 10:41:38

Oh yumcha I feel your pain! Ds is almost 8 months and refuses to sleep in his pushchair. When we're at home he has three naps a day and sleeps like a dream (scuse the pun!).

I've recently tried going out for the day but he goes on nap-strike, then ends up over-tired and grumpy in the evening. I feel guilty then, so tend to try and stick to his routine, him sleeping in his cot during the day, as he's so happy and content then. It is so restrictive though! Sorry not being any help, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips (have tried the shade thing to no avail).

LittleMilla Thu 22-Sep-11 12:51:44

Yumcha something else that might help things is a sucky. I know that some people are loathe to introduce these, but my DS has his right up on his face when in his buggy. I got the aden & anais ones, so they're nice and thin. Just emans that he has something touching his face, which he seems to like.

Keep on perservering as I really think it's habit. We had a week off and he was a sod after that. So now I try and get him in it for one nap a day...usually the second one which is only 30 mins. So it takes the pressure off! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now