Talk

Advanced search

Is this still reflux? So desperate for sleep!!!!

(5 Posts)
Heliopolis Tue 13-Sep-11 14:49:50

My DS is 14 months, generally bonny by day but a horror at night. Diagnosed with silent reflux at 4 months when he was in so much pain he refused feeds. On ranitidine for a while, then domperidone added, at 7 months omeprazole started and the others dropped, now on omeprazole plus 2ml ranitidine at night. Each time a med is started or increased he improves rapidly but after a week slowly begins to decline again. It's as though his body just produces more and more acid to compensate. Still BF as it's the only thing that seems to help, he can feed up to every 2 hours in night, it also seems to really help his mood by day if he's fussy. If I don't feed him he takes an AGE to settle and is awake crying 20 minutes later anyway.
I'm unsure as to whether this is still reflux or BF dependency to sleep... I try not to feed him to sleep at bedtime but he is usually so tired/sleep deprived that I can't keep him awake. He has a noisy big sister (also had silent reflux until 2 years old) so not always possible to tweak his schedule as much as I would like.
We have both been dairy free for 2 months. No particular improvement. Also sweetcorn seems to trigger a terrible night so we avoid anything with corn. He's been to cranial osteopath and hompeopath. Is it worth getting allergies tested? Paediatrician wants to do a pH probe but I think he will find that extremely distressing plus he's the sort of child who will yank it out if it's at all possible.
When he is ill even with a cold he is obviously in extreme distress and can hardly sleep at all - my gut says it's tummy/reflux, he seems to have an internal spirit level and is only happy when upright or sucking... But my DH thinks it's bahavioural and he just needs to learn to sleep.
Any help gratefully received! New to Mumsnet and desperate to sleep even one short night through. Need to go back to work soon and my brain is like scrambled egg.
A very tired Heliopolis XX

Heliopolis Wed 14-Sep-11 19:39:27

Worse than ever last night. Anyone with reflux child had any luck with allergy testing?

windy71 Fri 16-Sep-11 20:56:27

Hi there sorry to read about your sleep deprivation.My son has reflux and was allergy tested and he was diagnosed with coeliac disease as well. He had something called a videofluroscopy ( a bit like a barium meal) but was not diagnosed with reflux then even though thats what it was for, it was when he had a biopsy to confirm coeliac that they said he had reflux.He is 8 now but as a baby he was a nightmare for not sleepingSlept through at 30 months for first time and not eating properly and absolutly fullof life in the day.I had a very good health visitorwho helped.I would get him allergy tested for peace of mind .I also used to put a pillow under his mattress to raise the head of his bed.hope this helps only if it lets u know your not alone

MistyB Sat 17-Sep-11 22:21:35

I have had two reflux boys who had lots of other food intolerences which with exclusion and suppliments to support / rebuild their gut have helped.

One also had excess unfriendly gut bacteria helped by anti biotics. A private nutritionist helped with this and the supplements. Pm me if you want more info. He has not had the coeliac test as he is a happier boy off wheat so we will wait.

Has your Homeopath tried bowel nosodes?

I would go ahead with allergy tests but the intolerences may not show up. If you are open to alternative health then muscle reaction testing might be worth looking into.

Number1SonMum Wed 21-Sep-11 20:42:21

you might also find the little refluxers website and forum helpful. sounds like reflux to me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now