Talk

Advanced search

stupid 5am wake ups!

(10 Posts)
jstock Sat 10-Sep-11 05:47:03

Morning!! again...... I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to gey my DS to sleep past 5 am. He's 2years 4 months and is a little dream when it comes to bedtime at night, a few stories and kisses and off he goes at 7pm.
He's always been an early riser but if he would just sleep until 6 we might feel human! We have tried treating all wake ups before 6 as night time, just lay him back down and say shhhhh sleepy times but when it hits 5am he'll say I want to go downstairs mummy, not sleepy now. We have the added challenge of a 10mo brother thrown into the mix who likes to sleep late and if he's woken by a shouting brother at 5am because he wants to go downstairs he's quite grumpy . If anyone has any tips we could try I'd really appreciate it!

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sat 10-Sep-11 06:11:24

We just got the gro clock sleep trainer for dd..it's early days but things are improving. ( it's ds that has me up now)

Shanghai Sat 10-Sep-11 06:21:48

i have exactly the same problem at the mo! DS is 2.2 and he's getting up between 5 and 5.30 every single morning. I've tried putting him to bed earlier and later and neither works. I also tried the gro clock and it was so bright (even in lowest light setting) that it kept him up half the night and he still woke up at 5!! Sorry I'm no help but v interested to hear what other say

MrsVidic Sat 10-Sep-11 06:25:18

I have a dd who is 2.2 and is going through a not napping in the day/ too over tired - so I put her to bed a 6pm and shes bolt awake t 5! I'm going to try to get her to have a nap- by walking like a zombie pushing her and dd2 in the pram until she sleeps tpday- her sleep is always better at night if shes not too over tired

ballstoit Sat 10-Sep-11 06:34:48

DD2 will sleep til 6 if i let her in my bed when she wakes at 5...not the ideal solution but I'm tired enough not to care.

jstock Sat 10-Sep-11 07:17:16

DS1 used to be 5.20 on the dot EVERY morning, we were convinced it must be a car starting or a door banging but no it just seemed to be his wake up time- The funny thing is, when the clocks change, he always get's back to about 5-5.30 so he must be trainable! I might look into the gro clock.
ballstoit-if DS1 would get in our bed I would have no hesitation in hoiking him in but he's never has entertained it shudders at the memory of bed sharing on a two week holiday while heavily pregnant with DS2
good luck Mrsvidic! DS2 is a sleep fighter and a grumpy tired baby! I always found while on Mat leave my 4 mile hikes made me feel human again, they were sleeping and it helped me flip the switch from zombie to part human long enough for me to realise I had my clothes on inside out most days!
Thanks for the replies x

jstock Sat 10-Sep-11 07:18:10

oops forgot the stars give you bold on mumsnet!

urbanist Sat 10-Sep-11 13:17:21

I have the same issue with my 18month DS although he now wakes between 6-6.30am so not as extreme as 5amsmile I am trying leaving him until 6.45 (calling mummy mummy or just calling/crying) which seemed to work as he started waking later after 3 nights. But after a week he satred waking at 6am again though I think he may be teething. I am being really mean leaving him to cry it out in the morning?
Any further tips welcome....

jstock Mon 12-Sep-11 08:06:13

We did try the leaving him until DS2 arrived but it didn't seem to work for us. It seems his up time is 5am and that's that, if he wakes up at 4 you can tell he's a bit sleepy and will get straight back in bed but 5 is a whole different story, this morning he was shouting come on mummy/daddy down the stairs please!! maybe I just need to accept it's what time he wakes up. We are quite used to it now. I'm open to ANY suggestions though!!

Shodan Mon 12-Sep-11 08:24:44

We used to put a small bottle of milk in ds2's cot to keep him going a bit longer when he was waking v early- worked for a bit. Not a popular suggestion I know but we were desperate.

Then when that stopped working I bought a wall clock with clear number and a reward chart. On a large sheet of paper I drew a clock with the hands pointing to six o'clock and smiley faces by the two numbers. Sad faces by all the other numbers. He was promised a sticker for every morning he stayed in bed until the two clocks matched. Took a little while (a few days) but worked in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now