Talk

Advanced search

Dummy nightmare - it falls out, she wakes up, I have to plug - help!

(14 Posts)
WeesaD Fri 09-Sep-11 12:20:40

DD2 is 19 weeks old.
She has always been vey sucky, and at about 8 weeks did start to find her thumb. Then seemed to stop that and prefer the dummy. Should have stopped the dummy at that point - doh!

Now she will go off for naps and at night straightaway and without a whimper as long as she has her dummy, but I have to wake up numerous times at night to re-plug.

Any ideas/help?

mo3d Fri 09-Sep-11 12:25:18

I remember 'replugging' my first dd (although it was nearly 17 years ago!) and I remember how it drove me mad, so you have my sympathy. On the positive side, at least she sleeps.

My solution was to put a few dummies in the cot with her, in the hope that she would find one. That def worked as she got older.

Have you tried leaving her to see if she'd go off again without the dummy?

Timeoutofmind Fri 09-Sep-11 13:13:02

I had the same problem but if you put a few dummies in her cot she will soon learn to put it in herself - my DD did this at 6mo.

camdancer Fri 09-Sep-11 19:08:17

I ended up with 12 dummies in DS's cot! I arranged them all round his head. It worked but then he'd wake up when a dummy fell onto the hard floor. D'oh!

At 19 weeks though are you sure it isn't hunger sometimes?

WeesaD Fri 09-Sep-11 20:23:03

I have tried leaving her but she just works herself up and gets hysterical.

I'll try leaving some in her cot. She is just starting to grab at things, although it is still a bit hit and miss wink.

I'm feeding every two hours, I'm thinking if it's hunger she wouldn't go back to sleep with then dummy?

pinkypig Fri 16-Sep-11 22:07:19

I did leaving a few in the cot with my eldest boy. With my daughter she sleeps with hers clipped onto her babygrow shock

bippyhippy Sun 18-Sep-11 12:19:46

We have a Sleepytot from www.sleepytot.com. Don't know if your baby might be too young but it worked for us!

ceebeegeebies Sun 18-Sep-11 12:26:07

From what I can remember, it is just a temporary thing and if you leave enough dummies in the cot, it doesn't take long for them to learn to find them and put them in.

Both my DS's have had dummies and I can't remember it being an issue for very long at all.

I have also seen this that you can clip the dummy to - that would have been great for my 2 as they also have a 'blankie' so it would have killed 2 birds with 1 stone grin

ditavonteesed Sun 18-Sep-11 12:27:17

duct tape is your friend.

OneOf8 Mon 19-Sep-11 17:12:52

Hi, my baby was like this - and I realised the dummies were "too small" so popped out his mouth was the "sleepy" sucking action started.

We brought some bigger ones (suitable for his age!) and the issue went away.

No idea if this would help you, but a year ago I had no idea dummies came in different ages as we only tried them one evening - using one that came in a Tommee Tippee set after baby was still crying after feeding having read sucking apparently helped reflux.

JimmyChoo17 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:17:59

I use the MAM ones after reading about them on here. They have like a grippy bit on either side of teat which helps keep it in. It still pops out from time to tme but a lot less than avert etc... My DS has been on them since 7 weeks with a marked improvement! Not 100% mind...still have times of keeping a finger on it smile

Astonmartinis Mon 26-Sep-11 13:49:45

I am feeling guilty about going in and putting my daughter's back in every time she wakes too, feel I should not have gone down this road at all but can't bring myself to sleep train her out of it..
My DD is 7 months now, so I think with yours being so young she might crack it earlier and not be in this situation by the time she's over half a year...
No real advice here, sorry, just more 'I feel your pain' stuff.

CombineArvester Mon 26-Sep-11 14:14:20

In addition to the above you can get glow in the dark dummies, you could also put her to bed with a dummy in the mouth and one in each hand grin

Put a spare (glow in the dark?!) dummy in a certain place in her cot that she can easily reach e.g top corner or something and when she cries for it in the night, go in and guide her hand to it and put her hand up to her mouth with the dummy in. If you do this every time and resist the temptation to do it for her, she will gradually learn to find the new dummy for herself.

Or you could chuck it now but if she is a sucky baby it might be a bit mean.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 26-Sep-11 16:49:47

This was why I got rid of DD1's dummy at 7 months, it was a couple of nights of pain but then was fine and was blessing in the long run really as never had the problem of trying to get a toddler to give up their dummy like some people do.

But totally up to you whether you want to take away her comfort, she is still v young...hard one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now