Talk

Advanced search

naps for 10-month-old

(2 Posts)
TheKurgan Fri 09-Sep-11 11:56:08

This is not a serious problem but I'm not sure what to do.
My 10-month-old daughter is a pretty good sleeper on the whole - about 11 hours at night and naps from 9-11am in the morning and 3.15ish-4.30pm in the afternoon. The problem with this is that it's a bit restrictive. I'd like to take her to a music class at about 10.30am sometimes and she's about to start nursery where they get fed lunch at 11.45am (not a problem) and dinner at 3.45pm when she'd normally be asleep. I was advised to wake her from her morning nap after a maximum of 45 minutes and then put her down for a longer nap after lunch at about 1pm. I've done this for the past couple of days and she has coped OK with it but she was sooooo tired and grumpy when I woke her in the morning and had dark circles under her eyes. This morning I didn't have the heart to wake her. Should I persevere in waking her after 45 minutes in the morning? If so should I cut the time down more gradually? Or should I just accept that she likes to have a long sleep in the morning (at the moment) and hope that nursery can work round it?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Balldroppingjuggler Fri 09-Sep-11 21:42:47

My LO has been in nursery full time since he was 5 and a half months, he is now 10 months. The nursery he is at don't really keep him on a schedule, they don't do that with any of the babies as there are only 3 cots and sometimes 11 babies so the have to stagger the naps. Of course some of them will sleep on a mat or in a chair (not mine!!). Some times I collect LO and he has only had 45 minutes all day and he's knackered. In general he has 2 naps, one of around 75 mins and one of 30-45 minutes. He then sleeps 8-7 (with much waking sometimes, none others).

Even if your nursery has a nap schedule for babies, chances are LO won't sleep well there at first, so I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to her routine if you want to make the most of your last few weeks with her. There will be disruption when she starts nursery in any event (and that's before the illnesses that your LO is bound to pick up in the first few months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now