Talk

Advanced search

I've just turned my 5MO over to sleep on his tummy. Should I feel as guilty as I do???

(12 Posts)
Ab31 Thu 08-Sep-11 20:51:43

confused

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 08-Sep-11 20:52:40

Why did you turn him over?

Ab31 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:07:07

Because he woke up and wouldn't settle. He wouldn't burp when I tried winding him but was pulling knees up, obviously in discomfort. I turned him over ot stroke his back to calm him and... straight to sleep!

farming4 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:13:02

dd1 would not sleep any other way - it was my hv who suggested trying her on her tum when she was about 6mths old and hey presto started sleeping through -Mind you I don't think I got any more sleep cos I was checking her every 5 mins! grin - she still sleeps on her tummy now and she 5.......think she takes after me cos its the only way I can sleep which proved interesting when I was pg!

Ab31 Thu 08-Sep-11 22:06:46

That's interesting farming4. He's always had tummy trouble and I've often had the feeling that he would sleep better on his front (he's doesn't sleep well) but have been too nervous to try it. Is there a guideline as to when it's safe?

Graciescotland Thu 08-Sep-11 22:20:19

I think it's safe when they can roll over. If not I'd have to spend all night flipping my DS back onto his back...

farming4 Thu 08-Sep-11 22:20:35

No idea about guidelines - would suggest having a chat with your hv if shes approachable. Dd also was a really colicky baby so maybe its something to do with increased pressure on the tummy makes it feel better? With a colicky baby anything is worth a try!

Ab31 Thu 08-Sep-11 22:30:14

Exactly!!!
OK so he can't quite roll over yet so... do I turn him over when I go to bed?????????????

auntmargaret Thu 08-Sep-11 23:33:44

I think you need to trust your instincts, you are his mum, you know best. I have put my 6MO DD2 on her front a few times, but she can roll over. Still scary the first time though. And she still doesn`t sleep for more than 4 hours sad

Iggly Fri 09-Sep-11 21:59:46

How's his head and neck control?

DS started flipping onto his front just shy of 6 months. After 6 months the risk of SIDS drastically falls. We gave him loads of tummy time from 4 weeks old so he had strong muscles.

If you're worried, put him on his left hand side, left arm outstretched to stop him rolling onto his front. Clear the cot of any toys etc.

Cleverything Fri 09-Sep-11 22:02:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoftSheen Fri 09-Sep-11 22:28:59

My DD (now 6 months) would only ever sleep on her front, from about 2 weeks old. Even if put down on her back when very deeply asleep she would always wake up within 5 mins, very upset. If propped on her side she would either wake up or wriggle onto her front. We eventually gave in and let her sleep on her front, which has always made me very anxious about SIDS.

However, the causes of SIDS are not well understood and sleeping position is only one of many known risk factors. We focused on minimising all other risk factors by having no loose bedding (use sleeping bags), using a firm clean mattress, making sure the room was well ventilated and the correct temp etc. I think the most important thing is having the cot close by your bed so that you are more likely to be aware of any problems.

It's also worth remembering that most parents (at least those over the age of about 20) would have been placed on their fronts as babies, as this was previously thought to be the safest position. In short, do be careful but don't feel guilty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now