Talk

Advanced search

Going cold turkey with dummy!

(7 Posts)
LilacEmmy Thu 08-Sep-11 08:55:44

Having posted on here the other day about my daughter not settling back to sleep without her dummy, my husband and I have decided we ought to brave it and go cold turkey and take it away altogether as it's got to happen sooner or later anyway, and we're all knackered at the mo!!! This week she's been going to bed at 8.30, then sometimes waking say at 2 and again at 4 for dummy, then we're up and down constantly putting it back in until I get her up at 8, but she hasn't been going back to sleep properly at all, certainly after 6, but some mornings even after 4! So somethinh has to change as peviously she slept happily till 6.30 at the earliest!
However, we're going abroad on holidays next week for a week, so would you advise sticking with the dummy until we get back (thinking of changes to routine being away, different cot etc) or does it make any difference and should we just start tonight?
If you have gone cold turkey with yours, please let me know if pick up/put down or shush pat worked best for you....and dare I ask, how long it took for them to sleep happily without it? She does have a snuggly to cuddle at night as well so hopefully that'll help that she still has that to comfort her!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 08-Sep-11 08:59:53

How old is your DD? We went cold turkey at 5 months for the same reasons. Had a couple of harsh nights - she took longer to sete but did eventually. She has now discovered her thumb which has been a lifesaver until the dentistry bills.

I would probably wait until you're back from holiday to be on the safe side. Good luck!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 08-Sep-11 09:00:21

Sete?? Settle

LilacEmmy Thu 08-Sep-11 09:17:26

She'll be 6 months just after we get back from hols. As long as I know it'll definately work or at least improve things, we're on for it- my worry is cos she's always been quite a sucky baby, I don't want to put her through all that for nights only to find she can't get back to sleep without something to suck on, and up to now she hasn't shown much interest in her thumb, though she has sucked the side of her hand a little. But maybe that's cos she's always had the dummy instead? With the disruption of going away, I am inclined to wait until we come back, though the thought of packing bags in a few days feeling this frazzled doesn't help!!! Thanks for the advice!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 08-Sep-11 09:34:26

Trust me, she'll find her thumb if she needs it! DD was/is also a very sucky baby and also didn't show much interest in her thumb. Now you have to prise it out of her mouth!

Have a good holiday smile

LilacEmmy Thu 08-Sep-11 09:36:44

My other concern is reading on here how hard it is to get babies/children to stop sucking their thumbs, and some parents have posted that it's best to stick with dummy rather than have a thumbsucker? The other thing is that given a few weeks, she'd prob be old enought to find dummy in the cot herself and put it back in and some others have also suggested elsewhere? God, it's so confusing trying to decide what to do for the best!!!

Timeoutofmind Thu 08-Sep-11 14:14:03

I had this very same dilemma when my DD was the same age as yours. I was going to go cold turkey but at around 6mo she started putting the.dummy back in herself (I put 3 of them in her cot), and we had no more night wakings since then.

If the dummy becomes a problem again at some point I will go cold turkey (she is 8mo now).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but I would definitely wait til after the hol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now