Talk

Advanced search

wanting to reduce/stop night time feeds? for a baby who has had a lot of disruptions.

(4 Posts)
nello Tue 06-Sep-11 09:41:47

I really want to help my 6mo dd with her night times. she has had a very disrupted last couple of months (has had to live in 4 different countries, sleep in 6 different houses/hotels and temporarily take formula from a bottle due to me having a big operation...it feels like a hell of a lot for a wee baby to have to go through.) Now we are all "settled" and I am trying to get things into a better routine with her. I am putting her down in her cot for her first nap (she'll only take 50mins in cot) and then for a longer nap in the pushchair in the arvo (can take up to 2 hours in the pushchair) and she goes to bed at about 7pm. The thing is, she is waking a lot in the night at the moment - last night it was 8.30pm, 10pm, 1am, 3am, 5am and 6.30 we finally started the day. She seemed genuinely upset too each time. i actually fed her at each of these (crazy i know!), i wouldn't normally but was just exhausted. once upon a time at 10 weeks she was sleeping through the night 12 hours straight, but only for a few weeks and then started waking once and then twice a night. now i would be happy with this, but my question is , should I be feeding her when she wakes in the night or is she just using me for comfort and not hunger, and should I be helping her to get to sleep another way, for example picking her up cuddling to calm and resettle her? i have to admit i haven't done a good job at helping her to self settle and now i'm worried that i have caused her proper sleep problems.

advice would be so very welcome! after all the hecticness of the last two months, I just feel confused about where we were at and what i should do to help her. thank you.

LoonyRationalist Tue 06-Sep-11 10:02:25

How much is she feeding in the day? Are you weaning her?

As you say she has been through an unsettling time - being away from you being the biggest one so it will take time for her to settle again.

nello Tue 06-Sep-11 10:04:04

she's feeding every four hours and have just started introducing solids which she is happy to try but does not eat a lot of.

LoonyRationalist Tue 06-Sep-11 10:18:17

I found that DD2 started waking up hungry more at night when I first weaned her - she went from 2 wakings/feeds to 3-4 for a short while.

It might be worth upping her feeding frequency in the late afternoon /early evening. I wouldn't be inclined to do anything radical at the moment. She is using you for comfort & hunger. If you feel she isn't hungry when she wakes by all means calm & resettle her if she will accept this. If she is happy & content & feels her needs are being met you will probably find that she settles back to less waking. It isn't an exact science but have confidence in yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now