Talk

Advanced search

5mth old DS waking up hourly for dummy! Help please!

(5 Posts)
LilacEmmy Fri 02-Sep-11 08:59:18

My 5mth old DS had been in a really good routine of going to bed at 8.30, having had her bottle in her room and falling asleep by herself in her cot. She then woke between 2-3.30 for a bottle and went back to sleep usually until about 6.30-7, playing in her cot until I'd get up about 8 (last half hour usually with mobile on to entertain her!). She always has the dummy going to sleep and for naps and it works as a really useful sleep cue for us helping her to drop off. However, this week she has started waking at 2am, and drinking very little of her bottle, usually only 1oz, so I'm inclined to drop that feed now from tonight and see how she goes as she's clearly not hungry? But the main problem is she has been waking at least every hour from 2am, and we thought it was down to teething, but she's fine during the day so I don't think it is now. I usually just replace the dummy which she has dropped in the cot and she goes straight back to sleep....until an hour later! I know a lot of you might suggest going cold turkey with the dummy as it's probably the reason for the disturbed sleep at the mo, but it still works really well for her naps during the day and to settle her if she's tired, so we were going to keep it for another couple of months, thought it'd also help when she's teething initally too maybe rather then changing her routine too much?
What does anyone else think? Have you had experience of this happening, and is she likely to go back to sleeping through again after this period of waking up all the time?
Thanks in advance for your help!!!

PaigeTurner Fri 02-Sep-11 09:53:02

No real advice but just to say my DS's sleep got (even more) poor around five months for about six weeks with lots of waking for his dummy. Around 7 months he was able to find it and put it in himself in the night - most of the time. So I left two or three within reach, as he liked to throw them out of the cot. Don't think there's much more you can do except ride it out, sorry!

Seona1973 Fri 02-Sep-11 09:57:16

I took ds's dummy away at this age when he started waking loads for it

BedHog Fri 02-Sep-11 10:02:36

You can get a soft toy on ebay with a velcro flap on its paw to which you attach the dummy. Makes it much easier for the baby to locate the dropped dummy so they don't have to wake you up!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Fri 02-Sep-11 10:06:25

We took DD's dummy away when she started waking us up for it because we're too lazy to keep getting up and replacing it. Had one rough night and then she found her thumb and started sleeping through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now