Talk

Advanced search

From basket to cot and back again! Any ideas?

(13 Posts)
smellsofsick Fri 26-Aug-11 13:25:26

Having fought tooth and nail to get DD into her moses basket from our bed, we now can't get her out of it!
She's 8 months and has been sleeping in her basket in the cot for ages but putting straight into the cot is a bit of a nightmare; she just rolls around all over the place and eventually just wakes herself up.

We have those airflow cot bumper wraps, which aren't as thick as normal cot bumpers so I wonder if I need to get some. I think the real issue is that she doesn't enjoy the space and loves being cosy in her basket.

Please MNs any tips on making this transfer a bit easier. I don't want an 8 year old squeezed into a basket!

Deliaskis Fri 26-Aug-11 13:41:39

Sorry, was going to say try putting the basket in the cot, then read this was what you had been doing!

When I put DD in her cot, she didn't bay an eyelid, but I did use a bumper and put it two third of the way down the cot (cos it tied on either side, it didn't matter that the head end was not actually all the way at the top of the cot, and actually had a secret compartment behind it for the storage of teddies lol! So anyway, with the bumper there, the cot didn't look massively bigger lengthways, although was bigger widthways.

Is the moses basket new/old/borrowed?

Does she cry when she wakes? Only reason I ask is that DH and I discovered when we were away in a caravan (much thinner walls) that DD wakes in the night quite regularly, and just eventually drops back off again.

D

AchtungBaby Fri 26-Aug-11 13:43:04

I think there's some sort of cot divider that you can buy to make the cot shorter... I'll try to find a link!

smellsofsick Fri 26-Aug-11 13:47:48

Thanks D and Achtung. The moses basket was new and she's been in it from a few weeks old (and now over lunch!). I don't think she usually cries when she's asleep, sometimes gives the occassional whimper. She's a good little sleeper usually.

The cot divide sounds interesting and I think I will go and get some real bumpers, at least for the time being until she gets used to it.

AchtungBaby Fri 26-Aug-11 14:33:44

Here's a link smile.

Deliaskis Sat 27-Aug-11 08:57:48

The cot divider thing is basically what I did with my cot bumper, but moved the head down a bit, instead of the feet up, IYSWIM, but same effect.

D

PotatoesOfTheCarribean Sat 27-Aug-11 09:17:31

If she's 8 months please don't use just a cot bumper to divide the cot, she could get stuck or tangled in or worse case strangle herself.

smellsofsick Sun 28-Aug-11 09:41:40

Thanks potatoes. I won't use the bumper to divide the cot. If we do that we'll use the divider that Achtung linked to. Anyway, I've given up for this week and will try again next week!

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 28-Aug-11 09:44:38

Have you tried a sleeping bag? I put my DD in one because it stops her rolling about everywhere and getting stuck at the other end of the cot.... Lol

smellsofsick Mon 29-Aug-11 12:38:30

Hi Humpty, yep she's in a sleeping bag. How do you stop her rolling around? If anything I think it gives more freedom to roll about. Have you tucked yours in or similar?

juuule Mon 29-Aug-11 12:51:24

"and loves being cosy in her basket."

Why not just leave her as she is for now. smile

cheekyginger Thu 01-Sep-11 22:11:18

Hey SofS,

I rolled up some fleece blankets and tucked them under the fitted sheet to make the cot narrower. My DS seems to like being able to feel something when he's flapping his arms about!!

smellsofsick Fri 02-Sep-11 13:39:44

Thanks Ginger. Sounds like mine, she seems to like feeling where her boundaries are in the basket. I think I am going to leave her where she is for another week or so and try again when she's getting seriously too big for it.

I shall try all of the above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now